Bulgaria rejects Polish proposal to relocate troops in Iraq to more dangerous zone
Published:
21 September 2004 y., Tuesday
Bulgaria's defense minister on Monday angrily rejected a Polish military official's suggestion that Bulgarian troops in Iraq should be moved to a more dangerous province.
Defense Minister Nikolai Svinarov said he had been surprised when Gen. Andrzej Ekiert, commander of the Polish-led multinational division in Iraq, said Poland was preparing to take over control of Qadisiyah province and Bulgarian troops in Karbala would have to move as well. Poland commands some 6,000 international troops in south-central Iraq, where they have faced far more violence than expected, with two Shiite uprisings since April. The fighting forced the Poles to hand over security duties in Najaf and Qadisiyah province to the U.S. military.
Ekiert said last week that Poland will resume command in Qadisiyah around Dec. 10. Most of the nations under Poland's command sent troops presuming that south-central Iraq would be relatively quiet, since its population is mainly Shiites, who have largely avoided violence until the recent uprisings.
Svinarov said no one has officially asked Bulgaria's 480-member infantry battalion to leave its current base in the city of Karbala.
Šaltinis:
bostonherald.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Evacuees are allowed briefly back to their homes inside the Fukushima Daiichi exclusion zone to collect belongings.
more »
A Chilean base-jumper soars off a cliff in the Andes on a motorbike before opening his parachute.
more »
China's largest unmanned helicopter reports successful maiden flight.
more »
How certain was the U.S. Navy Seal team that it was Osama Bin Laden they shot, killed and buried at sea? According to a Florida company that makes biometric identification equipment, there's no doubt the Seals got their man.
more »
Emissions and noise-free, the world's first electric trash carts are hitting the streets of France, powered by Franco-American technology.
more »
U.S. National Security Adviser Tom Donilon says he has seen no evidence that Pakistan was aware Osama bin Laden was living in a compound in the country.
more »
Conservationists hope a new sanctuary will save Australia's declining Tasmanian Devil population.
more »
The tiny microbe could be the future of sustainable energy according to researchers in the uk. The scientists are developing autonomous robots that can generate their own power, and microbial fuel cells that can turn any organic material into electricity, could be the answer.
more »
The day's top showbiz news and headlines including Arnold Schwarzenegger lines up his next film, Justin Bieber's Japan concerts in jeopardy, and Cheryl Cole to be on U.S. "X Factor."
more »
The last combat veteran to serve in the First World War dies in Australia at 110.
more »