Eyewitnesses in Gaza

Published: 22 January 2009 y., Thursday

Dešimtys tūkstančių palestiniečių įsiveržė į Egiptą iš Gazos ruožo
After 3 weeks of fighting and over 1,300 dead, Gaza is once again open to journalists and visitors. In the midst of the fighting on 11 January, the UN helped a group of MEPs enter Gaza at the Rafah crossing to see for themselves what was happening. They share some of their experiences below. On 15 January the European Parliament adopted a resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire.

Spanish Green David Hammerstein said, “we were struck by the destruction of all public buildings,  a total breakdown of daily services and clear signs of humanitarian crisis.  I can still see the big eyes of dozens of beautiful children crowded around us at the UN schools where they had taken refuge from the bombs that exploded nearby, Also the desperation of young mothers crying out for help with babies in their arms.”
 
UN staff praised
 
He praised “the incredibly heroic work of the UN staff, both foreign and locals, who tirelessly work to help people in midst of very dangerous circumstances.  Everyone seemed very happy to see us as we were the only European representatives to visit Gaza during the conflict.  When the first explosion went off a few hundred meters away our instinct was to look for cover but we were told not run or panic. In any case, there was no safe place to go to.”
 
On what we the wider international community could do he was clear: “Europe should condition its future relations with Israel to the regular opening of its crossings with Gaza. The present situation of blockade is an illegal exercise of collective punishment as affirmed by the European Parliament resolution adopted last week.”
 
“Suddenly there was a huge bang...”
 
British Liberal Democrat Chris Davies, in his blog, described being driven into Gaza in a UN convoy during the lull in the fighting and visiting the compound of a UN distribution centre. “Suddenly there was a huge bang; the ground shook and so did my stomach. An Israeli blast during a ceasefire. It may have been 600-700 metres away but it felt bloody close! What must this be like for people who really are close? Allegedly, we learnt later, it was a response to Hamas rocket attacks.”

Later he spoke about leaving a primary school used as a shelter: “We walked out of the building into the throng of excited kids, mostly 7-11 year olds. I was struck by how many made 'V for Victory' gestures with their fingers. Do the Israelis really believe that bombing urban communities and terrorising their populations is going to bring them security?”

 
MEPs describe “carnage”
 
Speaking to the press, Italian MEP Luisa Morgantini of the GUE/NGL group said: We saw houses burned to the ground, cars on fire and rubble everywhere, also near to the UNRWA school that had been seriously damaged.“
 
We asked Belgian Socialist Véronique De Keyser for her impressions of Gaza. ”Schools, hospitals and mosques had been bombarded. What happened in Gaza is carnage. The hardest thing was to leave people trapped there, subject to incessant bombardment.“
 
Parliament calls for ceasefire and dialogue
 
In a Parliamentary Resolution adopted on 15 January MEPs reiterated their support for UN resolution which calls for: ”the withdrawal of the Israeli troops, the sustained re-opening of the crossing points, the lifting of the blockade and the prevention of smuggling and of illicit trafficking in arms and ammunition“.
 
As the fighting raged, MEPs called ”in the strongest terms on the Israeli authorities to allow unimpeded access to humanitarian assistance and aid to the Gaza Strip.“
 
The Resolution called on Israel ”to fulfil its obligations under international law and international humanitarian law; on Hamas to end rocket attacks and to assume its own responsibilities by committing itself to a political process aimed at restoring inter-Palestinian dialogue and contributing to the ongoing process of negotiation“.
 
Finally it urged the EU to step up cooperation with the US Administration to bring about a negotiated truce.

 

Šaltinis: europarl.europa.eu
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Mexican nursery fire kills many

At least 29 children are dead after fire swept through a nursery in the Mexican city of Hermosillo. more »

Czech Prime Minister Jan Fischer will visit Brussels on 8 and 9 June

The Czech Prime Minister and President of the European Council Jan Fischer will visit Brussels on 8 and 9 June 2009. more »

The Week Ahead 8-14 June 2009

Election results. The week will see the completion of elections counts for the 2009 European Parliament elections and the announcement of official results. more »

EP President Hans-Gert Pöttering on Middle East peace process

The President of the European Parliament, Hans-Gert Pöttering has made a statement welcoming the speech in Cairo of President Barack Obama, and also the statement on the Middle East last week by US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. more »

Search efforts for Air France crash

The Brazilian airforce surveys the area of the wreckage of an Air France flight carrying 228 people that plunged into the Atlantic Ocean off Brazil. But investigators warned the full story behind France's worst air disaster may never be known. more »

European elections to shape future for 500 million people

From 4th to 7th June, 375 million voters in 27 countries will determine the direction of Europe for the next 5 years. An unprecedented range of information sources will help them make their choice. more »

European Commission allocates €8 million for ongoing humanitarian needs in Zimbabwe

The European Commission has allocated €8 million to support vulnerable people affected by the breakdown of essential health and water supply services in Zimbabwe. more »

Air France airliner disappears

A search is underway for an airliner that's missing over the Atlantic. Flight AF 447 had 228 people on board, including 12 crew. It left Rio de Janeiro on Sunday evening local time and was expected in Paris on Monday at 09.15 GMT. more »

N. Korea tests Obama's open hand

The U.S. on Tuesday said North Korea will pay a price if it does not reverse course. more »

After the rain in Chile

Some 500 people have been driven from their homes in southern Chile, where four rivers were overflowing their banks. more »