Gaza: Pöttering calls for immediate ceasefire

Published: 8 January 2009 y., Thursday

Gaza po Izraelio atakų
“The life of a Palestinian has the same value as the life of an Israeli” said Parliament's President Hans-Gert Pöttering as he expressed his growing concern about the conflict in Gaza. He also urged all sides to halt the violence with immediate effect.

The Palestinian Authority's top official to the EU Leila Shahid and the Israeli Ambassador to the European Union Ran Curiel will meet with Members of Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee in Brussels on Wednesday to discuss the crisis.
 
“It was a big mistake that Hamas declared the end of the ceasefire. It has to be strongly criticised that Hamas recommenced rocket attacks on Israel but the massive Israeli reaction...is an escalation that is totally disproportionate” said Mr Pöttering.
 
He went on to say that “such military actions will not lead to a lasting peace in the region. Killing and injuring civilians in such a dimension will only strengthen Hamas and will push the people of Gaza and the Palestinians even further towards extremism”.
 
Call for new US Administration to play a role
 
“I call on all parties for an immediate ceasefire, to favour dialogue and resume calm relations” said Pöttering.
 
He then set out what he believes to be a basis for a lasting peace. “I believe a longstanding peace solution based on a two-state-solution can only be achieved through the active involvement of all parties.”
 
He called on the incoming US Administration and the European Union to jointly promote a comprehensive peace strategy for the Middle East. 
 
Gaza likely to be debated by MEPs
 
A European Union delegation led by the Czech Republic - the current holders of the European Union - has been in the region. President Sarkozy of France and UN Middle East Peace envoy Tony Blair have also met with leading players in the crisis.
 
Irish Labour MEP Proinsias de Rossa is a senior member of Parliament's delegation to the Palestinian Authority. He told us that “the EU delegation should insist on a ceasefire by all sides, a withdrawal of the Israeli Defence Force from Gaza, and the lifting of the blockade on Gaza so that life for civilians can return to some kind of normality”.
 
Polish MEP and head of the Foreign Affairs Committee Jacek Saryusz-Wolski will Chair Wednesday's meeting which brings together diplomats from both sides in Brussels.
 
The conflict in Gaza is almost certain to feature prominently in debates when MEPs meet in Strasbourg from 12-15 January for its first sitting of the year.
 

Šaltinis: europarl.europa.eu
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Flooded Ukraine asks for help

The Ukrainian Government informs that the damage caused by the floods was estimated at 7 billions Hryvnas or almost one billion Euros. more »

Climate package: are we sharing the cuts in emissions?

Last year EU leaders agreed to cut CO2 emissions by a fifth by 2020 in a bid to tackle climate change. more »

Brussels and Beijing: a look back at EU/China articles

As Beijing prepares to host the Olympics we republish here some articles that have looked at the developing relations between China and the European Union. more »

Probe into vandal attack on Yama Holocaust memorial in Minsk suspended

A senior investigator of Minsk's Tsentralny district police department, Hanna Sobal, on March 16 suspended a four-month-long probe into the November 12, 2006 vandal attack on the Yama Holocaust memorial. more »

Belarusian philosopher Akudovich publishes The Code of Absence

A book of essays by Belarusian philosopher Valyantsin Akudovich has been published by the Minsk-based Ihar Lohvinaw Publishing House. more »

Bulgaria's membership in EU so far has not led to changes in conditions for Belarusians' travel

The accession of Bulgaria to the European Union on January 1, 2007 so far has not led to changes in the conditions for visits to the country by Belarusian citizens. more »

Civil society activists petition prosecutor general to drop criminal charge against Polish community member Jaskiewicz

Civil society activists on February 7 sent an open letter to Prosecutor General Pyotr Miklashevich, urging him to stop the criminal prosecution of Mieczyslaw Jaskiewicz, a Warsaw-backed activist of the Polish community in Belarus. more »

Lukashenka calls on Europe to cooperate

Alyaksandr Lukashenka has called on Europe to cooperate with Minsk, saying that it anyway had no other alternative, BelaPAN reported. more »

Russia is set to halt imports of Belarusian sugar in long run, official says

Russia is set to halt imports of Belarusian sugar in the long run, Russian Agriculture Minister Aleksei Gordeyev said in an interview published by the Russian newspaper Vedomosti on Tuesday. more »

US State Department's Office meets with Belarusian opposition leaders

Robert Boehme, director of the US State Department's Office of Ukraine, Moldova and Belarus Affairs, met with Belarusian opposition leaders. more »