DOJ and U.S. States Unite Against Microsoft.
Published:
28 April 2000 y., Friday
Contrary to widespread rumors that the U.S. Department of Justice and the 19 states suing Microsoft Corp. would seek separate remedies in the antitrust case, all parties concerned are expected to proceed Friday by filing a joint proposal.
The proposal will reportedly call for Microsoft to be split into two separate companies. Even at the eleventh hour, there were a few states hanging in the balance, with some leaning toward more lenient remedies, and others toward more stringent approaches. California Attorney General Bill Lockyer was lobbying hard for Microsoft to be broken into three companies, while Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery said she favored keeping the company intact.
Earlier this week, when it appeared unlikely that the states and the DOJ would reach accord on proposed remedies, Federal District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson said a majority of states could file separate proposals if necessary. The joint proposal will most likely call for Microsoft to separate its Windows operating system division from the rest of the company. If such a proposal is made tomorrow, Microsoft is expected to ask the court for additional time to study the proposal before it files its formal response, due May 10th. A remedy hearing is already scheduled for May 24th. Microsoft has consistently and publicly been resolute in its objections to a company split. Earlier this week, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates once again defended his company's business practices, saying, "It's important to understand that Microsoft is very clear that it has done absolutely nothing wrong."
Reacting to the reports, Microsoft spokesman Mark Murray said, "There's nothing in the existing trial record to support this kind of excessive proposal, which is clearly outside the scope of the case. There would need to be months of discovery, depositions and hearings in order for the court to review such a radical step."
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Mr. Olli Rehn, European Union Commissioner, and Mr. Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), issued the following joint statement on Greece.
more »
The offering of shares of the new issue will commence on 03-05-2010.
more »
The World Bank today approved a $12 million IDA credit to Bhutan, designed to improve infrastructure services in parts of the capital city of Thimphu where no formal services are currently available.
more »
Fisheries ministers and stakeholders alike will be discussing the future shape of the EU's Common Fisheries Policy at two major events in Spain over the next days. On 2 and 3 May, in La Coruña, the Commission and the Spanish Presidency are organising a large stakeholder conference on the reform of the Common Fisheries Policy.
more »
Asia is leading the global recovery and the region’s contribution to global growth will continue to exceed that of other regions in the next two years, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said today in its latest Regional Economic Outlook (REO) for Asia and the Pacific.
more »
The EBRD is supporting the modernization of the electricity distribution network and the development of renewable energy sources in Poland with a PLN 800 million loan (equivalent to approximately €205 million) to the Energa energy group in order to help the company strengthen its power grid.
more »
At the beginning of the summer this year, Vilnius will become the capital of the Baltic Sea region. On 1-2 June 2010, the city will host the Baltic Sea States Summit and the Baltic Development Forum (BDF) Summit.
more »
Visitors of the World Expo 2010, which will open in the Chinese city of Shanghai on May 1st under the slogan “Better City, Better Life” and will last for 184 days until the end of October, are kindly invited to get into a hot air balloon at the Lithuanian Pavilion.
more »
According to preliminary data, unaudited net loss sustained over the first quarter of the year 2010 by SEB Bank is LTL 59,4 million (EUR 17,2 million) and that by SEB Bank Group is LTL 80,3 million (EUR 23,3 million).
more »
European Globalisation Adjustment fund (EGF) aid must be delivered faster and more simply to unemployed workers hit by the financial crisis or globalisation, concluded the Budgets and Employment committees after evaluating the fund on Wednesday.
more »