DOJ and U.S. States Unite Against Microsoft.
Published:
28 April 2000 y., Friday
Contrary to widespread rumors that the U.S. Department of Justice and the 19 states suing Microsoft Corp. would seek separate remedies in the antitrust case, all parties concerned are expected to proceed Friday by filing a joint proposal.
The proposal will reportedly call for Microsoft to be split into two separate companies. Even at the eleventh hour, there were a few states hanging in the balance, with some leaning toward more lenient remedies, and others toward more stringent approaches. California Attorney General Bill Lockyer was lobbying hard for Microsoft to be broken into three companies, while Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery said she favored keeping the company intact.
Earlier this week, when it appeared unlikely that the states and the DOJ would reach accord on proposed remedies, Federal District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson said a majority of states could file separate proposals if necessary. The joint proposal will most likely call for Microsoft to separate its Windows operating system division from the rest of the company. If such a proposal is made tomorrow, Microsoft is expected to ask the court for additional time to study the proposal before it files its formal response, due May 10th. A remedy hearing is already scheduled for May 24th. Microsoft has consistently and publicly been resolute in its objections to a company split. Earlier this week, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates once again defended his company's business practices, saying, "It's important to understand that Microsoft is very clear that it has done absolutely nothing wrong."
Reacting to the reports, Microsoft spokesman Mark Murray said, "There's nothing in the existing trial record to support this kind of excessive proposal, which is clearly outside the scope of the case. There would need to be months of discovery, depositions and hearings in order for the court to review such a radical step."
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The financial and economic crisis has shown that reckless behaviour of banks and other financial institutions can have serious and costly consequences for Europe's economy and its people.
more »
Local services that create jobs and improve energy efficiency received a boost Thursday (2 September) when MEPs on the Industry, Research and Energy Committee approved plans for more investment.
more »
The European Commission approved the first financing decisions under the EUR 264 million 2010 allocation for the so-called Vulnerability FLEX mechanism to help the most vulnerable African, Caribbean and Pacific countries cope with the impact of the global financial crisis and economic downturn.
more »
The European Commission has today updated the list of airlines banned in the European Union to impose an operating ban on one air carrier from Ghana and to place operating restrictions on another air carrier from that country.
more »
The European Commission today approved an application from Denmark for assistance under the European Globalisation adjustment Fund (EGF).
more »
Algirdas Šemeta, EU Commissioner for Taxation, Customs Union, Anti-Fraud and Audit, will open tomorrow an international conference at the Shanghai World Expo 2010 on building bridges to facilitate trade between China and the EU.
more »
Moldova is set to receive an EU grant of up to €90 million to help it through the financial crisis, following a vote at Parliament's Committee on International Trade on Monday.
more »
Important notice: since May 2010 business surveys data are classified in accordance with an updated version of the Nomenclature of Economic Activities (NACE rev. 2) causing a potential break in series at this date.
more »
75% of Europeans think that stronger coordination of economic and financial policies among EU Member States would be effective in fighting the economic crisis, according to the Spring 2010 Eurobarometer, the bi-annual opinion poll organised by the EU.
more »
The European Commission has extended until the end of the year the liquidity support scheme for banks in Slovenia.
more »