Microsoft Stands Firm

Published: 28 April 2000 y., Friday
Contrary to widespread rumors that the U.S. Department of Justice and the 19 states suing Microsoft Corp. would seek separate remedies in the antitrust case, all parties concerned are expected to proceed Friday by filing a joint proposal. The proposal will reportedly call for Microsoft to be split into two separate companies. Even at the eleventh hour, there were a few states hanging in the balance, with some leaning toward more lenient remedies, and others toward more stringent approaches. California Attorney General Bill Lockyer was lobbying hard for Microsoft to be broken into three companies, while Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery said she favored keeping the company intact. Earlier this week, when it appeared unlikely that the states and the DOJ would reach accord on proposed remedies, Federal District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson said a majority of states could file separate proposals if necessary. The joint proposal will most likely call for Microsoft to separate its Windows operating system division from the rest of the company. If such a proposal is made tomorrow, Microsoft is expected to ask the court for additional time to study the proposal before it files its formal response, due May 10th. A remedy hearing is already scheduled for May 24th. Microsoft has consistently and publicly been resolute in its objections to a company split. Earlier this week, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates once again defended his company's business practices, saying, "It's important to understand that Microsoft is very clear that it has done absolutely nothing wrong." Reacting to the reports, Microsoft spokesman Mark Murray said, "There's nothing in the existing trial record to support this kind of excessive proposal, which is clearly outside the scope of the case. There would need to be months of discovery, depositions and hearings in order for the court to review such a radical step."
Šaltinis: E-Commerce Times
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Emerging Market Countries Partner with World Bank to Achieve Risk Management Objectives

The World Bank is seeing a surge in demand from borrowers seeking the Bank’s expertise to mitigate currency and interest rate risk. more »

State aid: Commission authorises support package for Lithuanian financial institutions

The European Commission has approved under EU state aid rules a Lithuanian package intended to stabilise the markets as a response to the global financial crisis. more »

European Commission forecasts average crop production for 2010 in the EU despite extreme weather

Total cereal production in 2010 should be close to the average from the last five years. While the yield per hectare will be 5% above average, overall cultivated areas have decreased. more »

In the first half of this year AB Bank SNORAS and its financial group worked profitably

According to the unaudited data, AB Bank SNORAS profit prior to provisions and tax exemption within the first half of this year comprised LTL 51 million, the bank formed almost LTL 48 million provisions. more »

Denmark: EU €10m to help 1,149 former Linak A/S and Danfoss Group workers find new jobs

The European Commission today approved two applications from Denmark for assistance from the EU Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF). more »

EIB provides EUR 150 million innovative recovery support loan to SMEs in Turkey

The European Investment Bank today signed two loans for a total amount of EUR 150 million in support of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Turkey. more »

AB Bank SNORAS will increase the authorized capital by LTL 82.3 million up to LTL 494.2 million

On 23 July 2010 the Board of the Bank of Lithuania permitted Bank SNORAS to register a change to the articles of association related to the increase of the authorized capital of the bank by LTL 82.3 million up to LTL 494,217,107. more »

Heads of State, WB President Zoellick Agree on Action Plan to Boost Integration and Development

Heads of State and top officials from the Central American Integration System and World Bank Group President, Robert B. Zoellick, agreed to join efforts towards regional cooperation and integration and adopted a comprehensive agenda that includes an action plan with more than 20 specific measures. more »

IMF Executive Board Cancels Haiti’s Debt and Approves New Three-Year Program to Support Reconstruction and Economic Growth

The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) today approved the full cancellation of Haiti’s outstanding liabilities to the Fund, of about SDR 178 million (equivalent to US$268 million). more »

IMF Completes Third Review Under Stand-By Arrangement with Latvia and Approves €105.8 Million Disbursement

The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) today completed the third review of Latvia's performance under an economic program supported by a Stand-By Arrangement (SBA). more »