DOJ and U.S. States Unite Against Microsoft.
Published:
28 April 2000 y., Friday
Contrary to widespread rumors that the U.S. Department of Justice and the 19 states suing Microsoft Corp. would seek separate remedies in the antitrust case, all parties concerned are expected to proceed Friday by filing a joint proposal.
The proposal will reportedly call for Microsoft to be split into two separate companies. Even at the eleventh hour, there were a few states hanging in the balance, with some leaning toward more lenient remedies, and others toward more stringent approaches. California Attorney General Bill Lockyer was lobbying hard for Microsoft to be broken into three companies, while Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery said she favored keeping the company intact.
Earlier this week, when it appeared unlikely that the states and the DOJ would reach accord on proposed remedies, Federal District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson said a majority of states could file separate proposals if necessary. The joint proposal will most likely call for Microsoft to separate its Windows operating system division from the rest of the company. If such a proposal is made tomorrow, Microsoft is expected to ask the court for additional time to study the proposal before it files its formal response, due May 10th. A remedy hearing is already scheduled for May 24th. Microsoft has consistently and publicly been resolute in its objections to a company split. Earlier this week, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates once again defended his company's business practices, saying, "It's important to understand that Microsoft is very clear that it has done absolutely nothing wrong."
Reacting to the reports, Microsoft spokesman Mark Murray said, "There's nothing in the existing trial record to support this kind of excessive proposal, which is clearly outside the scope of the case. There would need to be months of discovery, depositions and hearings in order for the court to review such a radical step."
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The EU needs a strategy by 2011 to encourage the creation of green jobs, says a draft resolution by the Employment and Social Affairs Committee that was adopted on Wednesday.
more »
Householders should not have to go without gas due to a gas-supply crisis, and such crises should be better managed, thanks to EU-wide co-ordination procedures and interconnection requirements laid down in draft legislation agreed informally with the Council at the end of June and approved by the Industry Committee on Tuesday.
more »
Today the Council has taken the formal decision which will pave the way for the introduction of the euro in Estonia as of 1 January 2011 and will become the 17th European Union country to share the euro currency.
more »
Proposals to improve protection for bank account holders and retail investors, and set up similar schemes for insurance policies.
more »
How should the EU's farm policy be reshaped and how should it be funded after 2013?
more »
MEPs on Wednesday approved some of the strictest rules in the world on bankers' bonuses.
more »
Long before the financial crisis the European Parliament regularly pointed out the significant failures in the EU’s supervision of ever more integrated financial markets.
more »
New strategy for stimulating tourism in Europe – to realise the full potential of an industry that already plays an important role in the economy.
more »
The European Commission has disclosed who in 2009 received EU funds in policy areas like research, education and culture, energy and transport or external aid.
more »
The European Commission has approved 19 programmes in 14 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, France, Greece, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom) to provide information on and to promote agricultural products in the European Union.
more »