Auction house could be among many galleries swindled
Published:
11 February 2001 y., Sunday
Sotheby’s is suing a prominent Manhattan art dealer, saying he swindled the auction house out of nearly $10 million in loans to buy four paintings by Pablo Picasso and Marc Chagall.
The missing milions were a small fraction of the money allegedly taken by Michel Cohen from galleries in the United States and Europe, Forbes.com reported Thursday. The total could reach $75 million, the report said. Sotheby’s said it loaned Cohen $9.9 million last year to buy two Picassos and two Chagalls for resale. The loans came due at the end of December, but Cohen made no payment and refused to say where the paintings were, Sotheby’s charged. Sotheby’s sued him Jan. 23 in state court in Manhattan. The suit was also filed in California, where Cohen hadanother residence. Cohen could not be reached for comment. He did not return a message left at the Cohen Gallery. Forbes said he may in Cuba. The French-born Cohen first became an art dealer in California in the 1980s, before opening his own gallery in Manhattan. Brokering the sale of Chagall paintings, he became a multimillionaire.
Forbes reported that Cohen lost his money in the stock market before the alleged art scandal. FBI spokesman Jim Margolin said authorities were aware of the Cohen case but that no criminal charges had been filed. Phillips declined to comment on whether Sotheby’s would press criminal charges against Cohen.
Šaltinis:
msnbc.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Most EU countries continue to meet deadlines for incorporating single market rules into national law, contributing to economic growth and job creation.
more »
Japanese officials unveil their new bullet train, capable of travelling at speeds of 320 km per hour (198 miles per hour).
more »
The first International Security Technology Exhibition, KIPS 2011, will be held on 23-26 February 2011 in Kiev (Ukraine). The motto of the exhibition is ‘There can never be too much security!’
more »
The world's highest restaurant opens in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, located 400 metres above ground in Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower.
more »
The rights of consumers will be clarified and updated, whether they shop at a local store or buy goods on line, under new EU rules as amended by the Internal Market Committee on Tuesday.
more »
MEPs on Wednesday gave their green light for the Council to conclude an Interim Economic Partnership Agreement with Papua New Guinea and Fiji, two countries of the Pacific Region with significant exports to the EU.
more »
Report sets 10 priorities for tackling the bloc's main economic challenges, launching the first ever ‘European semester'.
more »
China's first capsule hotel ready to open its doors in Shanghai, aims to capture slice of booming leisure budget travel market.
more »
Declaration by Michel Barnier on the start of three new authorities for supervision.
more »
On 1 January, Estonia adopted the euro as its official currency and the changeover is running smoothly and according to plan.
more »