Estonia officially declared that it would stage next year's Eurovision
Published:
10 June 2001 y., Sunday
Estonia officially declared that it would stage next year's Eurovision, the much maligned but widely watched song contest that draws over 100 million television viewers from around the world. Estonia was given the task of hosting the hugely popular contest after winning the 2001 competition last month.
Many Estonians see the Song Contest as an unparalleled opportunity to boost Estonia's name-recognition abroad, possibly leading to an even greater influx of tourists and even additional foreign investment. Some Estonians suggest it could even enhance the nation's drive to join the European Union.
Estonian public television (ETV), which will have to take the lead in organizing the event, has been in dire financial straits for years, and long-standing disputes over government funding came to the fore during recent talks over Eurovision 2002.
ETV director Aare Urm was heavily criticized for appearing to hold the contest hostage, hinting that Estonia may turn down the privilege of hosting it if substantial state funds weren't allotted to the country's public station. Finance Minister Siim Kallas called the apparent threat "attempted blackmail."
In the end, the government said it would provide nearly 3 million dollars specifically for the staging of the contest. ETV had been asking for almost twice that amount.
Šaltinis:
balticsww.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The book of memories “Be nutylėjimų” (Without Reticence) by the President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus was published in Latvia.
more »
A documentary film based on the memoirs of the late Pope John Paul's personal aide, reveals the Pontiff was stabbed in an attempted assassination.
more »
The latest celebrity news including the death of Guillaume Depardieu, Ringo Starr says no more autographs and Britney's new video.
more »
A parade of big name stars take the stage in the ancient Jordanian city of Petra for a tribute concert celebrating the life of late opera singer Luciano Pavarotti.
more »
Representatives from Guggenheim Foundation (New York) have introduced a preliminary feasibility study on Guggenheim Museum.
more »
New commission proposal seeks to ensure performers still benefit financially from their earliest records, long after they first went on sale.
more »
European politics, feminism, the Yugoslav secret service and love: These are just some of the subjects current MEPs have written books about.
more »
President Ilham Aliyev attended the ceremonial launch on 29 August of Azerbaijan's new public broadcaster.
more »