NASA unveils new Mars exploration plan

Published: 27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life. The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007. The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said. The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis: CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Donate an organ, save a life

Some 56 000 people in the EU are currently waiting for a transplant operation. Every day 12 of them die waiting for an organ to be donated. more »

China aims at weak eyesight

Every day, across the vast country, Chinese school children put down their pens and perform a series of government-devised exercises intended to strengthen their eyes. more »

US teen lives 118 days without heart

D. Simmons said the experience of living for so long with a machine pumping her blood was "scary." more »

For kids, an apple a day could keep obesity at bay

A recent report found that children in Europe are not getting enough fruit and vegetables, so the European Commission is proposing to set aside money to ensure they get weekly fruit. more »

Drug use “historically high”, says EU monitoring centre

Every year 7,000-8,000 people in the EU die because of drug use and a drugs overdose remains one of the main causes of death among young people. more »

Mediterranean eating - “reduces mortality”

Bad health through a bad diet is a growing problem across Europe. more »

Commission approves €90 million in French R&D aid to personalised medicine programme “ADNA”

In accordance with the EC Treaty rules on state aid, the European Commission has approved aid worth €90 million to be granted by France to the R&D programme “ADNA” covering the development of personalised medicine for infectious diseases, cancer and genetic diseases. more »

Pink October: Get screened for breast cancer!

October is international breast cancer awareness month. In Europe alone there are an estimated 430,000 new cases a year and in the EU breast cancer will affect one in 10 women before the age of 80. more »

President Underwent Corrective Eye Surgery

Today in the afternoon, President Valdas Adamkus had a lens replacement surgery in his right eye at Santariškių Clinical Hospital. more »

Bird flu outbreak ends in Turkey, says doctor

The last four suspected bird flu patients two of them confirmed to have contracted the deadly H5N1 strain were discharged from a hospital in eastern Turkey, signalling an end to the recent outbreak, a doctor said on Saturday. more »