NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life.
Published:
27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life.
The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007.
The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said.
The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis:
CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
An agreement to prevent needle-stick injuries in hospitals, one of the most widespread and serious risks to health workers across the EU, was welcomed by an overwhelming majority in Parliament on Thursday.
more »
Science and information are at the centre of the EU's crusade to bring down cancer rates.
more »
The new European Directive on organ donation and transplants and the promotion of “e-Health” will be two of the strategic topics of the Spanish Presidency of the EU, according to the presentation by the Minister of Health and Social Policy, Trinidad Jiménez, before the Health Commission of the European Parliament.
more »
Baby Coltyn's arrival has been hailed "the Christmas miracle" in Colorado Springs.
more »
In the first European Green City Index released by Siemens AG and the Economist Intelligence Unit, Lithuania‘s capital Vilnius tops the category of the European major cities breathing the cleanest air.
more »
EU healthy eating campaign reaches out to children.
more »
On the eve of World AIDS Day 2009 (1 st December), the European Commission can announce that it has invested over one billion Euros in the fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
more »
During the period 13 to 20 November 2009, very high pandemic activity was reported in Italy for the first time this season.
more »
The Norwegian Institute of Public Health has informed WHO of a mutation detected in three H1N1 viruses.
more »
November 11, LAF „Spartan" (C-27J) took off freighted with humanitarian assistance for the pandemic-hit Ukraine.
more »