NASA unveils new Mars exploration plan

Published: 27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life. The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007. The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said. The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis: CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Call for joint EU action on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's

Plans to coordinate research across Europe on neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s received strong backing from the European Parliament in a resolution adopted on Thursday. more »

WHO staff review pandemic prevention steps in Ukraine

The WHO team of experts has continued its work in Ukraine over the weekend. While four members continued investigations in Lviv – one of the most affected regions in the country – two others travelled 100 km west of the capital, Kyiv, to Zhytomyr: a medium-sized city and a regional (oblast) capital. more »

Latest information on pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Ukraine

On Wednesday, 4 November 2009, five members of the WHO mission in Ukraine arrived in Lviv, in the western part of the country. Lviv is one of the most affected regions, with more than 100 000 people reportedly sick with influenza-like illness. more »

Experts advise WHO on pandemic vaccine policies and strategies

The Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on Immunization, which advises WHO on policies and strategies for vaccines and immunization, devoted a session of its 27–29 October meeting to pandemic influenza vaccines. more »

Ukraine reports 11 cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection

On 28 October 2009, the Ministry of Health of the Ukraine informed WHO, through its Country Office in Ukraine, about an unusually high level of activity of acute respiratory illness in the western part of the country, associated with an increased number of hospital admissions and fatalities. more »

Experts recommend steps to protect prisoners’ health

The WHO Health in Prisons Project (HIPP) arose in 1995 because of the recognition of the gap between public health and prison health. more »

The International Day for Disaster Reduction, 14 October 2009

The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is celebrated every year on 14 October. more »

EU health ministers on the new influenza

On 12 October the EU’s health ministers met in Luxembourg for an extra Council meeting to discuss the new influenza (H1N1). more »

Commission confirms surprise inspections in the pharmaceutical sector

The European Commission can confirm that on 6 October Commission officials started surprise inspections at the premises of certain companies active in the pharmaceutical industry. more »

Call to strengthen health governance in Europe

Addressing health experts from throughout the WHO European Region at the 12th European Health Forum Gastein Dr Nata Menabde, Deputy Regional Director at WHO/Europe, explained that the values and commitments in the Tallinn Charter: Health Systems for Health and Wealth are more relevant than ever. more »