NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life.
Published:
27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life.
The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007.
The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said.
The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis:
CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Amid fears of a second wave of the potentially deadly virus, the European Commission on 29 September gave a fast track go-ahead to two new vaccines to fight the influenza H1N1 pandemic.
more »
Wide variations in death rates prompt EU to step up joint efforts to prevent, treat, research and share information on cancer.
more »
There are currently over 7 million people in Europe suffering from Alzheimer’s and related disorders and this will double in 20 years.
more »
The greatest disease burden in Europe comes from noncommunicable diseases (NCD).
more »
Every year, the number of cases of influenza rises during the winter seasons in the northern and southern hemispheres.
more »
Volume to be controlled on MP3 players, iPods and other personal music players, to prevent hearing loss.
more »
Today Mariann Fischer Boel, Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, launched a new Healthy Eating Campaign for European school children.
more »
On Monday 21 September the Swedish Presidency began a two-day expert conference on alcohol and health.
more »
60-year-old Kay Thornton's been blind for nine years. A rare skin condition called Stevens-Johnson syndrome robbed her of her sight. Now she's able to see again after surgeons in the United States implanted one of her own teeth to anchor a man-made lens inside her eye.
more »
A strategy for stemming the spread of the H1N1 flu virus.
more »