NASA unveils new Mars exploration plan

Published: 27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life. The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007. The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said. The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis: CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Newly Trained Village Doctors are Medical ‘Jack-of-All-Trades’

The only physician in her village of Tsoniarisi, Mzevinar Bolkvadze sees patients all day in a newly built and equipped ambulatory. more »

Over 49 000 cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Europe

As of 7 September 2009, 48 of the 53 Member States in the WHO European Region had reported over 49 000 laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection. more »

China nearer to mass flu jab

China's food and drug administration say clinical trials of a vaccine against the H1N1 flu strain have been successful. more »

Kyrgyzstan reports first cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009

As of 31 August 2009, 48 of the 53 Member States in the WHO European Region had reported laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection. more »

EU Health Security Committee agrees statement on target and priority groups for vaccination

The European Union Health Security Committee and the Early Warning and Response authorities adopted a policy statement proposed by the European Commission which outlines a shared European approach towards identifying target and priority groups for A H1N1 vaccination. more »

Over 42 000 cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in Europe; Belarus reports first case

As of 20 August 2009, 47 of the 53 Member States in the WHO European Region had reported over 42 000 laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection. more »

WHO/Europe presents European experiences on physical activity promotion at major conference in the United States

About 1000 participants, mostly from North America, debated solutions to the obesity epidemic in the United States (US) at the Weight of the Nation conference, organized in Washington, USA, by the US Centers for Disease Control. more »

EU Health Security Committee agrees statements on school closures and travel advice

The European Union Health Security Committee and the Early Warning and Response authorities (HSC/EWRS) unanimously adopted for the first time two policy statements proposed by the European Commission on public health measures for pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009. more »

Over 33 000 laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection in Europe

As of 10 August 2009, 46 of the 53 countries in the WHO European Region had reported over 33 000 laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection, including 55 fatalities in 7 countries. more »

Moog Medical Devices to Invest EUR 2M in Lithuania and Establish Services Centre

The U.S. company Moog Medical Devices which acquired the company the Lithuanian Viltechmeda at the beginning of the year 2009, intends to invest EUR 2M in Lithuania in the nearest future, to establish a modern services centre. more »