NASA unveils new Mars exploration plan

Published: 27 October 2000 y., Friday
Undaunted by the last year's loss of two red planet explorers, NASA on Thursday unveiled an ambitious plan to send eight or more probes to Mars over the next two decades to search for evidence of water or life. The fleet of orbiters, landers and rovers would employ new technologies that expand their scientific capabilities, save fuel and improve their chances of surviving on the red planet, NASA's chief Mars mission managers said Thursday. n addition to a 2001 orbiter and twin 2003 rovers, all previously announced, the agency plans to send a more powerful orbiter in 2005, a long-range mobile laboratory in 2007 and a new line of "scout" missions that could involve scientific balloons or miniature landers. The first could arrive as early as 2007. The first mission that returns samples of martian soil or rock could launch from Earth as soon as 2011, NASA said. The exploration program "may well prove to be a watershed in the history of Mars exploration," said Ed Weiler, NASA's second in command. In 1999, NASA lost a Mars orbiter and lander, each right before it was to begin its mission. The first most likely burned in the atmosphere because managers failed to convert metric and English measurements. The second presumably crashed moments before landing because of a software glitch. The future orbiters would expand the search for liquid water on Mars, a strong indicator of possible past or present life. Scientists looking at high-resolution images taken by the Mars Global Surveyor announced in June they had identified visual evidence of water just underneath the surface. Surveyor has orbited the red planet since 1997 and can spot features as small as 3 meters (10 feet). The 2005 orbiter will be able to discern objects smaller than one foot.
Šaltinis: CNN
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Azerbaijan and the Republic of Moldova report first cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009

Since the update of 24 July, Azerbaijan and the Republic of Moldova have reported their first laboratory-confirmed cases of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection. more »

European Health Insurance Card

The holiday season has arrived. Your suitcases are packed, your neighbours are watering the plants and feeding the cat and your tickets are ready. more »

Tanning machines as risky as smoking

Topping up your tan on a sunbed is being compared to the cancer risks associated with smoking. more »

Alzheimer’s on the rise in Europe

Twenty countries are teaming up to study Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, in the first test of a new approach to research in Europe. more »

Commission steps up action on Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative conditions

The European Commission adopted concrete proposals to tackle Alzheimer’s disease, dementias and other neurodegenerative conditions. more »

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009: new reporting requirements

The increasing number of cases in many countries, with sustained community transmission, made confirming them through laboratory testing extremely difficult and resource intensive. more »

Gourmet police

The EU’s food safety alert system picks up dangerous food products before they land on your plate. more »

WHO publishes first indoor air quality guidelines on dampness and mould

WHO publishes its first guidelines on indoor air quality, addressing dampness and mould. more »

Double heart girl's amazing recovery

Hannah Clark is a reluctant star - she's facing the media because she's a medical miracle. more »

Going tobacco-free

EU countries urged to pass tougher anti-smoking laws. more »