The World Health Organization, WHO, says it is starting a special fund to combat SARS, primarily in mainland China and Hong Kong
Published:
23 May 2003 y., Friday
World Health Organization officials say they are confident they will be able to raise the money by September from investment banks, media companies and industrial groups.
The head of WHO's Communicable Diseases Program, David Heymann, calls this an exciting new endeavor. He says the Geneva-based World Economic Forum which has close ties with China is taking the lead in contacting business people to contribute to the fund.
Hong Kong still has not managed to get the SARS epidemic under control. But, the World Health Organization says health authorities there are doing a good job in identifying new cases of this fatal disease, in tracing people who have come in contact with SARS carriers and in isolating patients. It says Hong Kong is making good progress and is moving closer toward containing the disease.
China remains the most severely SARS-affected country in the world. But, WHO SARS expert, Jim Kim says he is convinced that the Chinese authorities are taking the epidemic seriously.
Šaltinis:
voanews.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The world's first full face transplant appears in public, and thanks his doctors.
more »
China's fattest man hospitalized
China's fattest man, weighing 230 kg or 507 pounds, is hospitalised after being diagnosed with heart problems and kidney failure.
more »
A Chinese anti-smoking activist is on a one-man mission to eradicate smoking - one smoker at a time.
more »
A five-month old Siberian tiger with cataracts in both eyes becomes China's youngest animal to undergo surgery.
more »
The Commission has taken further steps against Germany for incorrectly applying EU rules on well established medicinal use when authorising medicinal products pursuant to Directive 2001/83/EC.
more »
Theold Bank today approved a US$$117.70 million IDA credit to India, designed to improve quality of and access to health services in the state of Tamil Nadu.
more »
Livestock at a farm outside of Seoul show symptoms of the highly contagious disease.
more »
A written declaration calling for EU-wide breast cancer screening for women, initiated by MEP Liz Lynne (ALDE, UK) had been signed by sufficient MEPs to qualify as having been endorsed by Parliament, announced the President, thanking those who had signed.
more »
The European Commission has earmarked €21 million for two new research projects on cancer, as part of an international research effort coordinated since 2007 by the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC).
more »
To mark World Health Day, WHO is launching a global campaign to raise awareness of the impact of increasing urbanization on the health and lifestyles of people around the globe.
more »