Group Claims Bank Hack Attacks; Others Not So Sure
Published:
17 October 2001 y., Wednesday
A group of self-proclaimed hackers led by a wealthy and flamboyant German businessman says it is taking a vigilante approach to the war on terrorism by bringing together hackers worldwide to track down terrorist finances and resources online.
They claim to have 34 people in 10 countries who have hacked the computer systems of banks they say may be linked to accused terrorist Osama bin Laden. They also say they've shared information with the FBI.
But the FBI refuses to comment, the banks have not noted any disruption of their services, and other hackers say the team is really just a bunch of self-promoters.
Whether they've done any damage at all — or whether they even exist — they have touched off a debate online about the propriety of what the group's leader, Kim Schmitz, says it is trying to do.
The group, which calls itself YIHAT, for Young Intelligent Hackers Against Terror, says that last week a team of U.K.-based members gained access to accounts at the Sudanese AlShamal Islamic Bank worth as much as $50 million belonging to bin Laden and the al Qaeda organization he heads. Schmitz said no harm was done to the accounts and said the group passed on the information to the FBI.
Tuesday, the group claimed to have hacked the Arab National Bank in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, but said that no information on suspected terrorists had been found. A hacker calling himself Splices told ABCNEWS.com that he gained access to the bank's records and "had access to anything we wanted: corporate profiles, stock deals, financial statements, customer bank accounts."
Šaltinis:
abcnews.go.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Software company announced new structure_ of it_s business.
more »
In a move that will change how millions of consumers buy their PCs, Intel later this year will adopt a new system for differentiating its processors
more »
Samsung is planning to launch in Europe a camera phone capable of taking pictures with a resolution of 2 million pixels
more »
Panasonic announced on Friday that it plans to launch a 1GB Secure Digital card first in Japan in April
more »
A snapshot of the gadgets on offer at the giant Cebit technology trade show.
more »
German authorities conducted raids on more than 750 locations on Tuesday and Thursday this week
more »
Scott McGregor of Philips Semiconductor, the leader in radio frequency ID chips, says they'll change the world -- and not threaten privacy
more »
Mobile handset fans must get a real kick out of CeBIT
more »
The contract covers Barclays deposit devices, ATMs and statement printers, as well as the ATM network Helpdesk for Barclays branches
more »
Wincor Nixdorf - the new European market leader in ePOS systems
more »
If Microsoft is wondering how its antitrust case is faring in Europe, what happened yesterday in Brussels said it all
more »