New Security Firm Targets DoS Attacks

Published: 6 February 2001 y., Tuesday
Waltham, Mass.-based Arbor Networks intends to start marketing its DoS- prevention services to ISPs, major Web sites and other entities susceptible to the simple, but hugely disruptive attacks, Arbor Chief Strategist Ted Julian said Friday. Since DoS attacks disable Web sites and routers by flooding the servers with bogus information requests, technicians must wade through thousands of lines of code to find the source of the attack, Julian said. As a result, successful DoS attacks, like the one launched against Microsoft Corp.'s Web site routers just last month, can bring sites down for hours and even days, depending on how fast the attacks are detected. But Arbor's technology - which both Julian and Arbor Chief Technology Officer Rob Malan claim is the first of its kind - automatically scans Web traffic and alerts customers to any suspicious activity. The technology then traces the source of the activity and alerts service providers so that they can shut off the source of the attacks, Malan said. Since the software tracks attacks back to their source, it can cut down enormously the amount of time needed to fix the problem, Malan contends, adding that if Microsoft had had the Arbor technology in place two weeks ago, it could have stopped the attack in minutes rather than hours. Arbor founders developed the DoS-prevention software at the University of Michigan and planned their launch to coincide with the anniversary of last year's brutal DoS attacks that struck Amazon, eBay, CNN.com and many others among the Internet's largest sites. Arbor is backed by Battery Ventures and Cisco Systems, which have invested a combined $11 million.
Šaltinis: Newsbytes
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

Lithuania's First 3G Call

Lithuania's acting president H. E. Arturas Paulauskas made the country's first 3G call over Omnitel's trial network on May 1st more »

3G will 'be the norm' in 2009

Seven out of ten Western European mobile users will have a 3G-enabled device within five years more »

New worm's got sass, but not much else

The security researchers at eEye Digital Security are not impressed with the Sasser worm more »

search.lt news

search.lt presents newest links more »

New Blade Servers

HP: Trim the Fat with Efficeon Blades more »

Spying software watches you work

Spyware has infected almost all companies polled for a survey about web-using habits at work more »

New form of digital radio launched

Nokia postions visual radio against DAB more »

search.lt news

search.lt presents newest links more »

A portal site DirectEurope

HP, Oracle, OTP launch portal site to assist applications for EU funds more »

IBM expands search push with Masala

Finding things is becoming a growing concern for IBM more »