U.N. tech summit ends

Published: 17 December 2003 y., Wednesday
Delegates to a U.N. summit approved an ambitious plan Friday to deliver Internet and other technologies to the world's poorest regions but it lacked definition and monetary muscle. Many of the tough decisions were deferred for two years, when the World Summit on the Information Society holds its second act in Tunisia. The gathering was far from a wash, however, for the hundreds of tech bootstrappers who got a chance to network and trade ideas. "It's like a family reunion," said Derrick Cogburn, a University of Michigan information studies professor who brought four students. By a voice vote Friday, representatives from about 175 countries, including more than 40 heads of state, approved a statement of principles and an action plan calling for deeply extending Internet and other communications into the developing world by 2015. Delegates to a U.N. summit approved an ambitious plan Friday to deliver Internet and other technologies to the world's poorest regions but it lacked definition and monetary muscle. advertisement Many of the tough decisions were deferred for two years, when the World Summit on the Information Society holds its second act in Tunisia. The gathering was far from a wash, however, for the hundreds of tech bootstrappers who got a chance to network and trade ideas. By a voice vote Friday, representatives from about 175 countries, including more than 40 heads of state, approved a statement of principles and an action plan calling for deeply extending Internet and other communications into the developing world by 2015. Negotiators could not agree on key questions such as whether a U.N. agency should be created to govern the Internet and whether to create a separate fund for projects to close the technology gap between rich and poor nations. In lieu of getting his proposed Digital Solidarity Fund, Senegal President Abdoulaye Wade had to settle for a study. Still, Wade said he was leaving with more than he came with: His advocacy got the attention of Western leaders who are largely opposed to the idea, and Geneva and Lyon, France, have pledged money already. The fund now has more than $1 million.
Šaltinis: msnbc.msn.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

A spectacular turnabout

European Commission changes tack on e-commerce law more »

Australian Regulator Calls For Cybersquatting Ban

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has called for an end to the practice of cybersquatting and for changes to the way disputes between domain name holders are managed. more »

search.lt news

search.lt presents newest links more »

U.S. To Play B2B Matchmaker

Within the next few weeks, the U.S. Department of Commerce, in partnership with IBM, is scheduled to launch a new business-to-business (B2B) e-marketplace to help U.S. sellers hook up with foreign buyers. more »

Hacked EU Site Back Online, But Attack Continues

SaferInternet.org, the European Union-sponsored Web site that was yanked off the Web last week after being hacked twice, is now back online. more »

Web Credibility Project Planned

Consumers Union, the non-profit publisher of "Consumer Reports" magazine, is planning a project to report on the credibility of Web sites, including e-commerce operations. more »

First SDP project

TechEd: Gates announces Shared Development Process more »

Netscape Denies Browser Escape

Netscape Communications is denying reports that it's bailing out of the PC browser market it once dominated. more »

Medicine by e-mail

Joseph Scherger, a family physician in California, was at Chicago's O'Hare Airport last week when he fired up his portable computer, checked his e-mail and found an urgent message from a patient, Beth. more »

search.lt news

search.lt presents newest links more »