Despite increased pressure from the European Commission over antitrust concerns, Microsoft confirmed that the Commission will not seek to block the launch of Windows XP.
Published:
2 September 2001 y., Sunday
Despite increased pressure from the European Commission over antitrust concerns, Microsoft confirmed that the Commission will not seek to block the launch of Windows XP. The Commission also merged two cases against Microsoft, one focusing on Windows Media Player and another covering Windows 2000 in the server market. There are no plans, however, to involve Windows XP -- set to debut October 25 -- in the investigation.
"Microsoft has long believed that the merger of these two cases is a prerequisite to a resolution of the company's issues in Brussels and therefore welcomes this merger as a constructive step in the ongoing dialogue on these issues," the software giant said in a statement.
The Commission raised two new questions over the inability to remove its Media Player from Windows and Microsoft's licensing practices for business customers. It claims competitors such as QuickTime and RealPlayer are at an extreme disadvantage.
Microsoft quickly responded to the announcement. "We are confident that once it has completed its investigation, the European Commission will be assured that we run our business in full compliance with EU law," stated President of Microsoft EMEA, Jean Philippe Courtois.
"We take our responsibilities in Europe very seriously, working hard to ensure that Windows works well with products from other companies," he said.
Microsoft also reiterated that Windows Media Player has had prominent placement in the company's operating systems since 1990.
Šaltinis:
BetaNews
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Software company announced new structure_ of it_s business.
more »
Microsoft on Thursday announced Hotmail users could block HTML images from appearing in e-mail messages, in a move meant to foil spammers trolling for valid e-mail addresses
more »
Leaders of two much-criticized projects that privacy advocates fear will collect massive amounts of data on U.S. residents defended those projects before the U.S. Congress Tuesday
more »
Site holds resources for hardware and driver software makers
more »
search.lt presents newest links
more »
Business-to-business e-commerce is thriving
more »
Lucent Technologies has been executing the second phase of the ATM multiservice network for Netia, one of Poland's largest independent telecommunications service providers
more »
The difference between spam and desired e-mail is whether the user has previously transacted business with the sender.
more »
Technology is supposed to help simplify transactions and increase the speed of doing business, but often that is not the way it works
more »
The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services will start accepting immigration applications filed through the Internet on May 29
more »
search.lt presents newest links
more »