Georgia To Let Chechen Trespassers Go

Published: 19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported. A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities. Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night. He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning. The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis: allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Lithuania sent Humanitarian aid to Moldova

Yesterday a motor van with humanitarian aid cargo left Lithuania for Moldova. more »

Thanks for Lithuanian soldiers in Afghanistan

Meeting with the Governor of Ghowr addressed the crucial needs of local citizens, possible support of Lithuania in building roads, reconstructing airfield and hospital in Chaghcharan. more »

President congratulates Israel’s President on his anniversary

President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus congratulates President of the State of Israel Mr. Shimon Peres on the occasion of his eighty-fifth anniversary. more »

Victims of Medininkai tragedy commit us to achieve what they have believed in, says the President

President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus attended the commemoration of the 17th anniversary of the tragedy in Medininkai border post, where customs, police and border-control officers had been killed while on service. more »

Government to provide prompt assistance for disaster-hit Ukraine and Romania

Severe storms of 23-26 July caused enormous flooding in the western regions of Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Chernivtsi, Zakarpattya, and Ternopil. more »

Minister of National Defence visit Lithuanian soldiers deployed to Afghanistan

Delegation led by Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas arrived at Kandahar, Afghanistan, to meet with Lithuanian Special Operations Forces soldiers, July 29. more »

Act of vandalism was carried out against Lithuanian embassy

On the night of 25 July in Minsk, an act of vandalism was carried out against the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the Republic of Belarus. more »

German Chancellor Angela Merkel to Visit Lithuania

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is scheduled to visit Lithuania on 26 August 2008. more »

President Adamkus Awarded Honorary Doctoral Degree at the University of Chile

President Valdas Adamkus was awarded an honorary doctoral degree at the University of Chile during his state visit to the Republic of Chile. more »

Valdas Adamkus Became Honorary Citizen of Santiago

During his state visit to the Republic of Chile, President Valdas Adamkus met with the Mayor of Santiago, Mr. Raul Alcaino. more »