Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Brussels: Bush accepted Yuschenko's proposal and would visit Ukraine
more »
US President George W. Bush is attending a special summit between the US and the EU in Brussels today
more »
Ukraine's new leaders have stopped short of rejecting membership in a new Moscow-led economic bloc of four ex-Soviet republics, but say the plan could hurt their European Union aspirations
more »
The Kremlin signaled a fundamental foreign policy shift today, acknowledging that two former Soviet republics, Ukraine and Georgia, are no longer part of the Russian orbit.
more »
President of the self-proclaimed republic of Abkhazia Sergei Bagapsh believes that Sochi (March 6-7, 2003) Agreements must provide the basis for negotiations with Georgia
more »
President Seeks Participation In Transdniester Talks, Multinational Black Sea Task Force
more »
Latvian Prime Minister Aigars Kalvitis said the Latvian Foreign Ministry has knowingly proposed a draft interstate declaration which cannot be accepted by Russia
more »
Kazakhstan's President Nursultan Nazarbayev has proposed forming the Union of Central Asian States
more »
Badri Bitsadze, the Commander of the Georgian Border Guard Department, denied allegations made by Russian Defense Minister Sergey Ivanov claiming that “terrorists” are entering Chechnya from Georgia
more »
Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili welcomed the decision of the Parliament to reduce the number of parliamentarians from the current 235 to 150, referring to it as “historic”
more »