Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
OSCE Chairman in Office and Slovenian Foreign Minister Dimitrij Rupel met with Uzbek President Islam Karimov in Tashkent on 16 February
more »
Trade turnover between two countries amounted to USD 97,2 mln. in 2004
more »
Kurdish successes in Iraq's elections, notably in the disputed oil centre of Kirkuk, have heightened Turkey's worries about a future Kurdish drive for independence
more »
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Romanian head of state Traian Brasescu began talks in the Kremlin on Monday evening
more »
President Viktor Yushchenko appointed a liberal Russian politician and former lawmaker as his adviser, his office said Monday
more »
Two days of talks in Tbilisi on 10-11 February between Russian and Georgian government officials failed to make any progress
more »
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan will make official visits to Albania and Bosnia next week to improve bilateral relations with the two Balkan countries, Erdogan's office said Friday
more »
Kyrzgyzstan’s foreign minister on Friday promised fair parliamentary elections and warned that any attempt to foment a Ukrainian-style revolution would spark civil war in his Central Asian former Soviet republic
more »
President George W. Bush said Wednesday that he would seek a 50 percent increase in U.S. military assistance to Poland
more »
Three-day session of regional experts for elaboration of the Treaty on Nuclear-Free Zone in Central Asia started in Tashkent on 7 February
more »