Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
BELARUSIAN PRESIDENT CALLS FOR REGISTERING ALL WORK-ABROAD AGENCIES
more »
Ukraine is to review an agreement on the Common Economic Area project of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan, Ukraine’s new president Viktor Yushchenko told reporters in Krakov, Poland, on Thursday
more »
Lithuanian Foreign Minister Antanas Valionis said on Wednesday that Lithuania supports Albania's bid to join the European Union and the NATO
more »
Russian President Vladimir Putin onFriday emphasized that the work with members of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) is a priority in the Russian foreign policy
more »
ESTONIAN PRESIDENT: RUSSIAN-ESTONIAN RELATIONS WILL BE IMPROVING
more »
Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev addressed a meeting of the UN Counterterrorism Committee in Almaty on 26 January
more »
Armenia and Azerbaijan should actively submit constructive proposals to each other via the OSCE’s Minsk Group for achieving a settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the Assembly said today
more »
The Ukrainian President has told the Council of Europe that there will be no going back on democratic changes in his country
more »
Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has described as erroneous the opinion that Russia is being pressed out of Georgia
more »
Speaking on the occasion of Mr. Yuschenko's visit to Moscow, Vladimir Putin stated that it was important to bring the current relations between Russia and Ukraine up to date
more »