Georgia To Let Chechen Trespassers Go

Published: 19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported. A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities. Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night. He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning. The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis: allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Yushchenko Signals New Direction for Ukraine

Viktor Yushchenko was sworn in as the third president of post-Soviet Ukraine Sunday, capping months of political turmoil that saw the nation turn away from traditional Russian influence toward the West more »

The Statement

Belarussian diplomat expelled from Czech Republic more »

Russia may annul WWII Nazi pact

Russian President Vladimir Putin is prepared to renounce a notorious 1939 pact between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union that divided up much of eastern Europe between the two powers, Estonia's president said Thursday more »

Vīķe-Freiberga to visit Moscow on May 9

President Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga has decided to attend a May 9 summit and celebration in Moscow marking the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II more »

COURT CLEARS YUSHCHENKO WIN

Ukraine's Supreme Court rejected a final appeal by the losing candidate in the country's disputed presidential poll, confirming Viktor Yushchenko as the winner more »

GEORGIA SLAMS ABKHAZ BALLOT AS ILLEGAL

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili dismissed the 12 January Abkhaz presidential ballot as illegal given that many Georgians and other former residents of Abkhazia now living in exile were unable to participate more »

Croatia's President Stipe Mesic wins 2nd term

President Stipe Mesic, who is credited for moving this ex-Yugoslav country closer to the West, overwhelmingly won a second term Sunday more »

Romania's new premier to discuss cooperation during his visit

Prime Minister Calin Popescu-Tariceanu on 17 January will go to Budapest on the first official visit abroad undertaken by the Romanian head of government after taking office more »

Global voting organised for Iraqi elections

Voting in the Iraqi elections on January 30 is taking place not only there, but also in 14 other countries, including the US more »

Koizumi, Belka agree on Iraq, U.N.

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said he and his Polish counterpart, Marek Belka, agreed Friday to continue supporting Iraq's reconstruction and promoting U.N. reform more »