Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Russian President Vladimir Putin, in his first public comment on the dramatic Ukrainian presidential election that the Kremlin-favored candidate lost, said Friday he hopes that the country will move from rhetoric to pragmatism
more »
FRENCH President Jacques Chirac made a new call today for an "international tax", saying such a levy would help generate funds to help poor countries and those hit by disasters such as the Asian tsunami
more »
A European Union commission spokeswoman has called Cuba's move to re-establish contacts with eight EU countries "a step in the right direction".
more »
Losing presidential candidate Viktor Yanukovych appealed the results of last month's election to Ukraine's Supreme Court
more »
The European Union and Turkey have agreed the terms of EU membership talks following hours of intense negotiation on Friday
more »
French Vote on EU Constitution "Before Summer"
more »
Croatian president forced into run-off as he seeks a second term
more »
Mikhail Marynich: "It`s Persecution For Political Views"
more »
The organization is intending to close its office and end its work in Kazakhstan
more »
After the discussions on the 2005 state budget the Armenian parliament passed a decision last week to increase military expenses
more »