Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Political, economic and trade relations are set to take centre stage when Deputy President Jacob Zuma hosts his Bulgarian counterpart Vice President Angel Marin in Pretoria on Thursday
more »
European Union Steps Up Efforts to End Ukrainian Vote Deadlock
more »
A fundamental review of the Stability and Growth Pact -- the rules governing the euro -- would not add to its credibility, Commission President Jose Barroso said on Wednesday
more »
Repeated elections best outcome to political crisis in Ukraine-EU
more »
President Vladimir Putin of Russia has invited his Latvian and Estonian counterparts to come to Moscow for celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in the Second World War
more »
Uzbekistan's five officially registered political parties presented their election platforms on national television on 22 November in preparation for 26 December parliamentary elections
more »
Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko is calling for an "all-Ukrainian political strike'' to protest the declaration of Moscow-backed candidate Viktor Yanukovych as the winner of last weekend's presidential runoff election
more »
Brazil and Russia signed an agreement on space cooperation that calls for development of a launch vehicle for Brazil, production of geostationary satellites and other projects
more »
Estonian President Arnold Ruutel has appointed Prime Minister Juhan Parts's nominee Jaak Joeruut as the country's new defense minister
more »
Tens of thousands of demonstrators jammed downtown Kiev in freezing temperatures Monday night, denouncing Ukraine's presidential runoff election as fraudulent
more »