Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Russia and Ukraine are to sign a number of agreements in December, in particular, on the simplified border crossing regime
more »
AZERBAIJAN PRESIDENT ILHAM ALIYEV AND PRESIDENT OF BULGARIA GEORGI PARVANOV
more »
The three post-Soviet Baltic countries-Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia-are to pay to Russia stale debts for former Soviet property, insists Russia's Auditing Chamber
more »
Iranian President Mohammad Khatami said Wednesday his country will not pursue nuclear weapons but will strive for the right to utilize atomic energy for peaceful purposes
more »
The United States killed with its veto power on Tuesday another Arab draft UN Security Council resolution
more »
A hard-nosed nationalist is expected to emerge as leader of the breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia
more »
The OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) has rejected the candidate observers proposed by the CIC Executive Committee
more »
EC PRESIDENT ROMANO PRODI HANDS OVER EC QUESTIONNAIRE FOR MACEDONIA
more »
The 16th meeting of the council of leaders of Belarussian, Russian and Ukrainian border regions opened in Kursk on S
more »
Development of Almaty as a financial center was discussed at governmental session chaired by Prime Minister of Kazakhstan Daniyal Akhmetov, PM’s press service reports
more »