Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Ukraine has no plans to set up transit camps to receive Chechen refugees, the State Committee for Nationalities and Migration has said
more »
Belarus, its leaders shunned by much of the Western world, has snapped back at moves by the European Union and United States to restrict the movements of its senior officials and threatened to respond in kind
more »
Russian cabinet approves Kyoto Protocol; gives agreement big boost
more »
The former Czech president, Vaclav Havel, and about 100 other international figures have signed a petition accusing President Vladimir Putin of Russia of using the Beslan hostage drama to undermine democracy
more »
Slovenia has withdrawn its support for Croatia’s EU membership bid following a border incident on Thursday
more »
Top Chinese leaders and visiting Armenian President Robert Kocharyan agreed Tuesday that the two sides should strengthen cooperation in economic, technological and other areas
more »
Ferenc Gyurcsany was formally nominated Monday as Hungary's next prime minister by President Ferenc Madl
more »
Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria in the EU by 2007: Poland's Kwasniewski
more »
Denying the Turks accession to the European Union would be "an injustice" since Turkey, as a key member of NATO, has helped ensure European security for the past 50 years
more »
The censors on state-run Belarusian television are banning appeals by opposition candidates for the 17 October parliamentary elections
more »