Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
NATO Chief Says International Community Must Help Settle Transnistrian Conflict
more »
Armenia was the final destination of Romano Prodi, president of the European Commission, during his South Caucasian visit on September 16-19
more »
Romania's Minister for European Integration, Alexandru Farcas, voiced in a meeting with members of the Estonian Parliament’s European Affairs Committee the hope that Estonia will back his country's integration into the European Union
more »
The EU's decision to analyse Serbia and Montenegro's progress towards European integration separately, has been welcomed in Belgrade
more »
SKorean President visits Kazakhstan, Russia to secure energy supplies
more »
Bulgaria rejects Polish proposal to relocate troops in Iraq to more dangerous zone
more »
Romania's constitutional court says it will allow President Ion Iliescu to run in November 28 polls, rejecting protests
more »
Russian Security Council Secretary Igor Ivanov and EU Special Representative for the South Caucasus Heikki Talvitie have supported stabilization in the Caucasus region
more »
Kazakhstan: U.S. Businessman Pleads Not Guilty In 'Kazakhgate' Case
more »
Meeting of NATO Military Committee in Estonia is a strong signal - Kujat
more »