Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital.
Published:
19 November 2000 y., Sunday
Chechens who illegally penetrated to Georgia from Ingushetia (Russia) in October were allowed to leave freely the hospital. The special commission ambassador of the Georgian Foreign Ministry Avtandil Napetvaridze stated on Friday that there were no legal grounds for their detention, "Interfax" news agency reported.
A Chechen gang trying to penetrate into Georgia from Ingushetia had been blocked by Georgian military at the Russian-Georgian border on October 25. The gang had been equipped with rifles and machine-guns. There were about 160 fighters at the blocked site. Then it was reported that 25 Chechens laid down arms and surrendered to Georgian authorities.
Napetvaridze said that the Chechens were hospitalized because they needed an urgent medical treatment. 23 of them were released on Thursday night.
He noted that Georgian law-enforcement bodies were aware of their location and if it would be necessary they could summon them for questioning.
The Georgian Prosecutor General's Office launched a criminal case against the trespassers. They face a sentence of 3-years of jail. A few days before representatives of the Georgian intelligence service stated that the trespassers were not Chechen rebels and they could not be handed over to Russia as they would be prosecuted by Georgian law.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
A top Russian official said on Thursday it was prepared to participate in a project to build a new bridge across the Narva River on the border with Estonia
more »
Czech and British troops ended a two-week military exercise on Friday, in which nearly 300 flights took place
more »
The European Commission and the U.N. Development Program have created an electronic network to help the Albanian government collect data and share information
more »
South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma is to pay an official visit - expected to be a bilateral trade boosting exercise - to Poland and Romania
more »
Four EU member states suggest refugee camp in Ukraine
more »
On Tuesday in Kazakhstan’s capital of Astana, the head of state Nursultan Nazarbayev met with a high level group concerning the creation of a common economic space
more »
Senior Iraqi officials have made repeated pleas to the Czech Republic to supply Iraqi soldiers with arms
more »
Vladimir Putin argued it was necessary to concentrate even more power in his hands to ensure that there is never a repeat of the Beslan school massacre
more »
The Open Spirit 2004 naval maneuvers will be held in Lithuania from September 3 to 14
more »
Russia has reportedly refused to be a third party in a $100 million contract between an Israeli defence firm and Indian Navy
more »