State Department unveiling Cuba Web site.
Published:
9 November 1999 y., Tuesday
In a bid to help Americans understand the maze of rules and regulations governing travel to Cuba, the U.S. embargo against the island and related issues, the State Department is unveiling a new Web site focused exclusively on Cuba. The Web site, ready to go on line today after highly secretive preparations, is largely fact-based but also highlights, with the help of pictures, the shortcomings of the revolution in such areas as housing and transportation. The State Department has many other Web sites devoted to individual countries. But creating a Cuba site has been more of a challenge than most because of the complexity of the issues and because of the passions Cuba continues to generate even after 40 years of communist rule.Visitors to the Web site can obtain information about human rights in Cuba, the administration_s efforts to promote people-to-people contacts, U.S.-Cuban relations, migration, restrictions on the sale of medicine, labor practices on the island and details of 1996 legislation designed to assist Americans whose property was seized by the revolution without compensation. "This is not at all intended to be an affront," said a State Department official, asking not to be identified. "It is intended to clarify our policy." But coupled with policy clarifications are the unflattering pictures. One picture showing rundown housing was accompanied by a caption that reads: "Cuba_s state-controlled economy has failed to provide adequate housing to Cubans. Multi-family occupancy of often unsafe housing is common." Another section of the Web site is devoted to four dissident leaders who were convicted earlier this year for sedition and acts against the security of the state. The four are widely portrayed internationally as victims of repression.
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
President Valdas Adamkus, currently on a working visit to the United Nations, met with President Bamir Topi of Albania to discuss bilateral relations, the problems raised at the high-level debate of the UN General Assembly
more »
Valdas Adamkus met with President Bamir Topi of Albania to discuss bilateral relations, the problems raised at the high-level debate of the UN General Assembly.
more »
Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas met with Gen. Julio Rodriguez, Chief of Defence Staff of Spain, who came on his first visit to Lithuania on September 24. High officials addressed the points of bilateral cooperation as the countries run provincial reconstruction teams in Ghowr and Badghis - neighbouring provinces of Afghanistan.
more »
Tuesday, September 23, New York – President Valdas Adamkus delivered a speech at the 63rd Session of the United Nations general Assembly.
more »
Monday, September 25, Vilnius – President Valdas Adamkus extended condolences to the leaders of Pakistan and China.
more »
Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas will meet with the Kosovo Premier Hashim Thaci and the Minister of Security Force Fehmi Mujota in Kosovo, September 21–22.
more »
In commemoration of the Day of Genocide of Lithuanian Jews, President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus awarded Life Saving Cross to 55 persons who were saving Jewish people from Nazi genocide during World War II.
more »
On the last leg of the working visit to Brussels, Prime Minister Gediminas Kirkilas had a meeting with President of the European Parliament Hans-Gert Pöttering.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus sent congratulations on behalf of himself and the people of Lithuania to President Michelle Bachelet of Chile and all Chilean people on the Independence Day.
more »
Gediminas Kirkilas said that NATO’s role in the Baltic region should not diminish in future.
more »