State Department unveiling Cuba Web site.
Published:
9 November 1999 y., Tuesday
In a bid to help Americans understand the maze of rules and regulations governing travel to Cuba, the U.S. embargo against the island and related issues, the State Department is unveiling a new Web site focused exclusively on Cuba. The Web site, ready to go on line today after highly secretive preparations, is largely fact-based but also highlights, with the help of pictures, the shortcomings of the revolution in such areas as housing and transportation. The State Department has many other Web sites devoted to individual countries. But creating a Cuba site has been more of a challenge than most because of the complexity of the issues and because of the passions Cuba continues to generate even after 40 years of communist rule.Visitors to the Web site can obtain information about human rights in Cuba, the administration_s efforts to promote people-to-people contacts, U.S.-Cuban relations, migration, restrictions on the sale of medicine, labor practices on the island and details of 1996 legislation designed to assist Americans whose property was seized by the revolution without compensation. "This is not at all intended to be an affront," said a State Department official, asking not to be identified. "It is intended to clarify our policy." But coupled with policy clarifications are the unflattering pictures. One picture showing rundown housing was accompanied by a caption that reads: "Cuba_s state-controlled economy has failed to provide adequate housing to Cubans. Multi-family occupancy of often unsafe housing is common." Another section of the Web site is devoted to four dissident leaders who were convicted earlier this year for sedition and acts against the security of the state. The four are widely portrayed internationally as victims of repression.
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The Prime Ministers have discussed the latest developments in Georgia as well as the September European Council dedicated for the matter.
more »
On 19 August, Lithuanian Minister of Foreign Affairs Petras Vaitiekūnas attended an extraordinary North Atlantic Council meeting, where he and other NATO Foreign Ministers discussed the situation in Georgia.
more »
Today, August 20, Wednesday, President Valdas Adamkus and President Valdis Zatlers of Latvia observe the Balts Will international coastal exercises of special operations forces.
more »
President Valdas Adamkus says that in the face of aggression against Georgia hasty calls are being made to change Lithuania’s defense strategy and return to its earlier conscription system.
more »
Aircraft of Lithuanian Air Force (LAF) C–27J Spartan took off from Tbilisi Airfield to evacuate 39 citizens of Lithuania from Georgia crisis region
more »
Today President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus participated in the meeting of presidents of the Lithuanian World Community and the World Lithuanian Youth Union.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus has condemned the acts of vandalism committed against Lithuania‘s and Vilnius‘s Jewish community headquarters, and calls on law-and-order and special services of the country to identify the organisers and the perpetrators of these acts immediately.
more »
With deep concern and anxiety, we are observing the events in Georgia which at this moment is under intensive attacks by the army of the Russian Federation.
more »
According to the President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus, the international community should be worried about the military tension that has sparkled in Georgia.
more »