Chinese Parliamentary Chairman Li Peng's planned two-day visit to Lithuania was unexpectedly cut to a mere three hours last week.
Published:
14 September 2000 y., Thursday
Chinese Parliamentary Chairman Li Peng's planned two-day visit to Lithuania was unexpectedly cut to a mere three hours last week, when he refused to enter the Lithuanian parliament building where an international meeting on the crimes of communism was held.
Li Peng arrived Sept. 5 at 3:30 p.m. and was gone by dinner time. His meeting with Lithuanian Parliament Chairman Vytautas Landsbergis, several Lithuanian members of Parliament and Foreign Minister Algirdas Saudargas was held in the airport's VIP hall, because the International Congress on the Evaluation of Crimes of Communism, also known as Nuremberg 2, was meeting in Lithuania's Parliament.
The Chinese delegation never left the airport.
This anti-Communist forum was organized by public organizations of political prisoners and human rights organizations of Lithuania and other Central and Eastern European countries. Participants from Western countries also took part. Some Lithuanian MPs were actively supporting organizers of the tribunal, which has moral, not legal, jurisdiction.
Li Peng has been hounded by news reports during his tour of northern Europe for ordering the invasion of Tiananmen Square in 1989, leading to the deaths of hundreds of protesters, mostly students, gathered there to protest Communist rule.
During the meeting of Lithuanian and Chinese parliamentary chairmen in the VIP hall on Sept. 5, 10 Lithuanian protesters picketed the Vilnius International Airport, waving "Free Tibet" posters, and portraits of The Dalai Lama.
Opposition Democratic Labor Party MP Gediminas Kirkilas accused the ruling Conservative Party of bad will by not postponing the anti-Communist forum in Parliament during Li Peng's visit.
Šaltinis:
The Baltic Times Online
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
The apparent winner of Ukraine's presidential run-off election, Viktor Yushchenko, said Tuesday the struggle to bring democracy to the country is not over and urged his supporters to renew a government blockade
more »
The Central Election Commission announced in Kyiv that opposition candidate Viktor Yuschenko was the official winner in Ukraine's repeat presidential vote on 26 December
more »
Iran wants to develop military cooperation with neighboring Azerbaijan, Iranian Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani said after meeting his Azeri counterpart
more »
The European Union has hailed the preliminary results of the general elections in Ukraine
more »
Ukraine opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko has claimed victory in the re-run of the presidential election
more »
The European commission expects the EU's 25 member governments to agree on a significant loosening of the controversial stability and growth pact by spring to kickstart faltering economic growth and create more jobs in the eurozone
more »
The Russian-German summit consultations have resulted in important intergovernmental agreements and commercial contracts signed
more »
Russian President Vladimir Putin has signalled a readiness to discuss EU involvement to ease the situation in war-torn Chechnya
more »
UKRAINE'S presidential rivals launched a live nationally-televised debate in the capital Kiev today
more »
Hungary became the second country to ratify the European Union`s constitution after parliament overwhelmingly voted Tuesday to back the text
more »