EU ministers move forward on controversial data retention proposals
Published:
6 December 2004 y., Monday
EU justice ministers meeting in Brussels on Thursday (2 December) took further steps on controversial proposals to retain data about telephone calls and e-mails as part of an overall fight against crime and terrorism.
The new proposals, which were originally pushed by the UK and France amongst others, were prompted by the terrorist attacks in Madrid earlier this year as well as the September 2001 attacks in the US, and are expected to be in place by 2005.
The Dutch EU presidency gave member states two options: that service operators retain the information that they would gather anyway for commercial purposes or go beyond that to keep a list of specific data – as yet to be defined.
Despite opposition by Germany and others for data privacy reasons, the second option has been chosen.
Dutch Justice Minister Piet Donner said this "goes rather further and involves service providers of data communications being required to retain certain data for a certain period".
A small working group will now look into the issues surrounding such legislation – mainly cost, which will depend on the data retained, and privacy questions.
Šaltinis:
EUOBSERVER
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Heads of foreign states bid farewell to the late President of the Republic of Lithuania, Algirdas Mykolas Brazauskas.
more »
Today we say farewell to one of the most prominent Lithuanian politicians, a sincere and open person, a man of principle, Algirdas Brazauskas - the first directly elected president of Lithuania after re-independence.
more »
Head of Cabinet of the Secretary General of the Council of the European Union Marek Mora is paying a visit to Lithuania from 30 June to 1 July.
more »
Lithuania‘s Minister of Foreign Affairs A. Ažubalis says, that continuous implementation of the Treaty of Lisbon, energy security, as well as European Union‘s relations with Eastern Neighbourhood countries and Russia would stay on the list of European policy issues that are the most important to Lithuania in the second half of 2010.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė calls the decisions adopted by the European Council strategic and important for Lithuania and for the whole European Union.
more »
On 16 June in Vilnius, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Audronius Ažubalis and Poland’s Minister of National Defence Bogdan Klich discussed successful bilateral cooperation on security and defence matters.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė sent congratulations to President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson of the Republic of Iceland on Iceland's national holiday, the Independence Day.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė goes on an official visit to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė received a high-ranking government official from China, He Guoqiang.
more »
On the occasion of European Day for Border Guards, the 10th of June, heads of diplomatic missions of the European Union member states in Lithuania visited the Border Guard School in Medininkai.
more »