EU ministers move forward on controversial data retention proposals
Published:
6 December 2004 y., Monday
EU justice ministers meeting in Brussels on Thursday (2 December) took further steps on controversial proposals to retain data about telephone calls and e-mails as part of an overall fight against crime and terrorism.
The new proposals, which were originally pushed by the UK and France amongst others, were prompted by the terrorist attacks in Madrid earlier this year as well as the September 2001 attacks in the US, and are expected to be in place by 2005.
The Dutch EU presidency gave member states two options: that service operators retain the information that they would gather anyway for commercial purposes or go beyond that to keep a list of specific data – as yet to be defined.
Despite opposition by Germany and others for data privacy reasons, the second option has been chosen.
Dutch Justice Minister Piet Donner said this "goes rather further and involves service providers of data communications being required to retain certain data for a certain period".
A small working group will now look into the issues surrounding such legislation – mainly cost, which will depend on the data retained, and privacy questions.
Šaltinis:
EUOBSERVER
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
President Dalia Grybauskaitė sent congratulations on behalf of herself and the people of Lithuania to President Dmitry Medvedev of the Russian Federation on the Day of Russia.
more »
Political support, commitment at all levels of governance and ensured financing are crucial elements for the successful implementation of the European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, Lithuania’s Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs A. Skaisgirytė Liauškienė said at the seminar, dedicated to discuss financial and management aspects of the Strategy’s implementation.
more »
On 10 June, Political Director of Lithuania’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Eitvydas Bajarūnas took part in the political consultations with officials from the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry in Kyiv.
more »
On 10 June, a seminar to discuss financial and management aspects of the implementation of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region will be held in Vilnius.
more »
Two entities with common objectives, Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, could act alongside each other, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs A. Ažubalis says.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė has just made her first State of the Nation Address in the Seimas, to give an overview of the situation of the country and the status of internal and foreign policies of the state, as required under the Constitution of the Republic of Lithuania.
more »
A round table discussion "Europe 2030: Do We Have a New Approach?" was held on 4 June in Vilnius.
more »
On 7 June in Vilnius, Lithuania’s Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs Šarūnas Adomavičius met with Chairman of the Knesset Lithuanian-Israeli Parliamentary Friendship Group Zeev Bielski and discussed the cooperation between the countries, as well as in international organizations.
more »
Today Chancellor Angela Merkel of the Federal Republic of Germany called President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė to express regrets at not having been able to come to Lithuania earlier in the week due to the complicated political situation in Germany.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė met with the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, who is currently visiting Lithuania.
more »