EU ministers move forward on controversial data retention proposals
Published:
6 December 2004 y., Monday
EU justice ministers meeting in Brussels on Thursday (2 December) took further steps on controversial proposals to retain data about telephone calls and e-mails as part of an overall fight against crime and terrorism.
The new proposals, which were originally pushed by the UK and France amongst others, were prompted by the terrorist attacks in Madrid earlier this year as well as the September 2001 attacks in the US, and are expected to be in place by 2005.
The Dutch EU presidency gave member states two options: that service operators retain the information that they would gather anyway for commercial purposes or go beyond that to keep a list of specific data – as yet to be defined.
Despite opposition by Germany and others for data privacy reasons, the second option has been chosen.
Dutch Justice Minister Piet Donner said this "goes rather further and involves service providers of data communications being required to retain certain data for a certain period".
A small working group will now look into the issues surrounding such legislation – mainly cost, which will depend on the data retained, and privacy questions.
Šaltinis:
EUOBSERVER
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Evacuees are allowed briefly back to their homes inside the Fukushima Daiichi exclusion zone to collect belongings.
more »
A Chilean base-jumper soars off a cliff in the Andes on a motorbike before opening his parachute.
more »
China's largest unmanned helicopter reports successful maiden flight.
more »
How certain was the U.S. Navy Seal team that it was Osama Bin Laden they shot, killed and buried at sea? According to a Florida company that makes biometric identification equipment, there's no doubt the Seals got their man.
more »
Emissions and noise-free, the world's first electric trash carts are hitting the streets of France, powered by Franco-American technology.
more »
U.S. National Security Adviser Tom Donilon says he has seen no evidence that Pakistan was aware Osama bin Laden was living in a compound in the country.
more »
Conservationists hope a new sanctuary will save Australia's declining Tasmanian Devil population.
more »
The tiny microbe could be the future of sustainable energy according to researchers in the uk. The scientists are developing autonomous robots that can generate their own power, and microbial fuel cells that can turn any organic material into electricity, could be the answer.
more »
The day's top showbiz news and headlines including Arnold Schwarzenegger lines up his next film, Justin Bieber's Japan concerts in jeopardy, and Cheryl Cole to be on U.S. "X Factor."
more »
The last combat veteran to serve in the First World War dies in Australia at 110.
more »