Serb opposition politician Zoran Djindjic said in a Russian television interview broadcast on Friday that opponents of President Slobodan Milosevic would proceed with mass protests later this month.
Published:
20 March 2000 y., Monday
"We are indeed starting a serious civil campaign to secure new elections and change in Serbia. The authorities are not allowing the necessary changes to go ahead," Djinjic said in an interview broadcast on ORT public television.
"We are one of the most isolated countries in the world. Our government cannot rule the territory it has...We want faster change and we can help speed it up with protests and demonstrations." ORT said the interview, with Djindjic speaking by mobile telephone from Belgrade, had been conducted several days ago. It said Yugoslav authorities had tried to prevent the tape from being taken out of the country and that it could not reveal how and through whom the video material had reached Moscow.
Russian authorities have publicly supported Yugoslavia and defended Belgrade during the 11-week-long NATO air campaign against Yugoslav targets last year.
Though Moscow contributed more than 3,000 peacekeepers to the NATO-led KFOR operation in Kosovo, it has expressed anger at KFOR_s alleged failure to protect Kosovo_s Serb minority from attacks by majority ethnic Albanians.
Djindjic_s interview was broadcast as Serbian opposition politicians debated what action to take against the Belgrade government_s shutdown of four local radio stations and three television channels in the past 10 days. Leaders are due to meet next week to decide on concrete days for planned protests.
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
September 6, literacy courses for local residents were formally opened in the UN Representation in Chaghcharan, capital of province of Ghowr.
more »
Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas and Italy’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Franco Frattini discussed perspectives of developing a bilateral dialogue, intensifying economic cooperation, etc.
more »
During the informal meeting of European Union’s foreign ministers on 4-5 September in Stockholm, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas and his counterparts discussed the issues of Afghanistan, relations with Iran...
more »
On 3 September in Vilnius, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs V. Ušackas met with Vice-President of the European Commission G. Verheugen, responsible for enterprise and industry, and discussed the most important issues of economy, energy and the implementation of the Treaty of Lisbon.
more »
On 22 July, the Government approved of the amendments to the Labour Code proposed by the Ministry of Social Security and Labour.
more »
Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs V. Ušackas discussed the problems of Lithuanian carriers while crossing the Russian border with Igor Levitin, Minister of Transport of the Russian Federation and co-chairman of the Lithuanian-Russian intergovernmental commission.
more »
Lithuania‘s Minister of Foreign Affairs welcomed the decision of the new NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen to include a joint representative of the Baltic States into a group of experts which is tasked to prepare a new Strategic Concept of NATO.
more »
On 3 August, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas met with Serbia’s Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremić, who was paying a visit to Lithuania.
more »
On 30 July, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas bade farewell to outgoing Ambassador of Belgium to Lithuania Filip Cumps and thanked him for his input into fostering bilateral relations.
more »
On 29 July farewell ceremony with the departing Canadian Defence Attaché for Lithuania Jim Petryk was held in the Ministry of National Defence.
more »