Serb opposition politician Zoran Djindjic said in a Russian television interview broadcast on Friday that opponents of President Slobodan Milosevic would proceed with mass protests later this month.
Published:
20 March 2000 y., Monday
"We are indeed starting a serious civil campaign to secure new elections and change in Serbia. The authorities are not allowing the necessary changes to go ahead," Djinjic said in an interview broadcast on ORT public television.
"We are one of the most isolated countries in the world. Our government cannot rule the territory it has...We want faster change and we can help speed it up with protests and demonstrations." ORT said the interview, with Djindjic speaking by mobile telephone from Belgrade, had been conducted several days ago. It said Yugoslav authorities had tried to prevent the tape from being taken out of the country and that it could not reveal how and through whom the video material had reached Moscow.
Russian authorities have publicly supported Yugoslavia and defended Belgrade during the 11-week-long NATO air campaign against Yugoslav targets last year.
Though Moscow contributed more than 3,000 peacekeepers to the NATO-led KFOR operation in Kosovo, it has expressed anger at KFOR_s alleged failure to protect Kosovo_s Serb minority from attacks by majority ethnic Albanians.
Djindjic_s interview was broadcast as Serbian opposition politicians debated what action to take against the Belgrade government_s shutdown of four local radio stations and three television channels in the past 10 days. Leaders are due to meet next week to decide on concrete days for planned protests.
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
On 28 July at the square in front of the Ministry of National Defence the solemn initiation ceremony of the assigning of the Chief of Defence of the Republic of Lithuania was held.
more »
On 28 July, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas met with Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina Sven Alkalaj, who was paying an official visit to Lithuania.
more »
Lithuanian Minister of National Defence and Estonian Defence Minister by phone discussed readiness of Baltic Battalion to be on duty in NATO Response Force after the information that due to extremely difficult economic situation Latvia will decrease its input into the battalion.
more »
In the evening of 27 July in Brussels at the end of the EU foreign ministers’ meeting and before the EU-Belarus consultations, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs V. Ušackas met with Minister of Foreign Affairs of Belarus S. Martynov.
more »
On 27 July in Brussels, Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas and EU Foreign Ministers discussed the situation in Georgia and its neighbourhood.
more »
Lithuania’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Vygaudas Ušackas met with Iceland’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Össur Skarphedinsson, Minister of Social Affairs and Social Security Árni Páll Árnason and Chairman of the Parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs Árni Thór Sigurdsson.
more »
President Dalia Grybauskaitė received the Apostolic Nuncio to Lithuania, Archbishop Luigi Bonazzi.
more »
On 23 July in Stockholm, Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Asta Skaisgirytė Liauškienė and Swedish Minister for European Affairs Cecilia Malmström discussed priorities of Sweden’s EU Presidency.
more »
Lithuania’s Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs V. Ušackas had a telephone conversation with Iceland’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Össur Skarphedinsson, during which the Ministers discussed Iceland’s decision to apply for the European Union membership.
more »
Acting in conformity the Constitution of Lithuania and based on the proposal submitted by Prime Minister Andrius Kubilius, President D. Grybauskaitė has approved the Government of the Republic of Lithuania.
more »