Serb opposition politician Zoran Djindjic said in a Russian television interview broadcast on Friday that opponents of President Slobodan Milosevic would proceed with mass protests later this month.
Published:
20 March 2000 y., Monday
"We are indeed starting a serious civil campaign to secure new elections and change in Serbia. The authorities are not allowing the necessary changes to go ahead," Djinjic said in an interview broadcast on ORT public television.
"We are one of the most isolated countries in the world. Our government cannot rule the territory it has...We want faster change and we can help speed it up with protests and demonstrations." ORT said the interview, with Djindjic speaking by mobile telephone from Belgrade, had been conducted several days ago. It said Yugoslav authorities had tried to prevent the tape from being taken out of the country and that it could not reveal how and through whom the video material had reached Moscow.
Russian authorities have publicly supported Yugoslavia and defended Belgrade during the 11-week-long NATO air campaign against Yugoslav targets last year.
Though Moscow contributed more than 3,000 peacekeepers to the NATO-led KFOR operation in Kosovo, it has expressed anger at KFOR_s alleged failure to protect Kosovo_s Serb minority from attacks by majority ethnic Albanians.
Djindjic_s interview was broadcast as Serbian opposition politicians debated what action to take against the Belgrade government_s shutdown of four local radio stations and three television channels in the past 10 days. Leaders are due to meet next week to decide on concrete days for planned protests.
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus participated in the opening session of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Parliamentary Assembly.
more »
President Valdas Adamkus visited the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to bid farewell to its leadership and diplomatic corps.
more »
June 22, Monday, President Valdas Adamkus is leaving for a working visit to Georgia.
more »
On Wednesday, Prime Minister Andrius Kubilius and his Baltic counterparts met with President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso.
more »
This Thursday, June 18, President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus goes on a two-day working visit to Brussels, Belgium, to attend the European Council meeting.
more »
Lithuania has successfully tapped international financial markets with a 500-million euro benchmark eurobond transaction due 2014, with an annual coupon of 9.375 percent.
more »
July 6 will see a number of events dedicated to the Millennium of the Name of Lithuania.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus attended the Swedish Business Awards 2009 Ceremony.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus received Minister of Defence of the Federal Republic of Germany, Mr. Franz Josef Jung.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus attended a reception as part of the international conference „The World Forum for Direct Investment 2009".
more »