CEBIT: Little 3G buzz this year

Published: 18 March 2003 y., Tuesday
An acronym that had dominated headlines at previous CeBIT shows seemed to be little more than a footnote at this year's event. The buzz that once accompanied 3G (third-generation) broadband mobile Internet appears to have fizzled even before the service has taken off. Grabbing the attention this year were wireless technologies, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, that are, above all, available. Indeed, handset availability, which dogged the start of GSM (Global Service for Mobility Communications) in Europe over a decade ago, threatens to trip mobile operators eager to expand into the market for high-speed mobile Internet services. Continuing a troubling trend in the European mobile industry, Jьrgen von Kuczkowski, head of Vodafone Group PLC's German unit, said last week in Hanover that the operator will delay the launch of commercial 3G service, this time to the second half of 2003 and only then if enough handsets are available. But Kuczkowski was quick to defuse speculation of possible difficulties, should the operator be forced to announce yet another delay. "There will be no Big Bang" when the German subsidiary launches 3G, he said. "It's not at all important if you start a few weeks earlier or later." For the record, the delay has been nearly a year. Vodafone D2 GmbH has been paying interest on a huge loan for its Ђ8.5 billion (US$9.2 billion) 3G license acquired more than two years ago, while generating zero revenue from the new mobile broadband service during this time. Now Kuczkowski is talking about testing 3G with a select number of business users over the next few months. He has also dropped some price points: 3G handsets will cost around Ђ300 and fees for the new high-speed packet-based data services will be low enough to compete with the competition. Those remarks were aimed at rival T-Mobile Deutschland AG, which announced plans ahead of CeBIT to cut its mobile data fees for GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) up to 70 percent, with handsets to range from Ђ100 to Ђ500. T-Mobile and Vodafone account for roughly 70 percent of the German mobile market, the largest in Europe.
Šaltinis: itworld.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

EU position on blue fin tuna ban debated Tuesday

The fate of blue fin tuna hangs in the balance this week as a complete ban on the trade is debated by MEPs. more »

Programs for Climate Action Get Underway With $400 million for Forests and $300 million for Renewables

A $100 million pledge from the Government of Japan has helped to secure the funding base and launch the operational phase of two new climate programs supporting forest management and renewable energy investments in developing countries. more »

Taking Europe’s pulse

Europeans quite happy with their personal situation, but less satisfied with economic and social climate in their country. more »

Spain wants to progress the incorporation of human rights and fundamental freedoms into Community law "as much as possible"

Spain wishes to “make as much progress as possible” to ensure the EU becomes party to the Council of Europe's Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms soon, according to the Spanish Minister for Justice, Francisco Caamaño, at today's opening of a seminar on the challenges and possibilities arising from the Treaty of Lisbon coming into force. more »

Belarusian children’s store eyes expansion

According to Belarusian tradition, a stork brings good fortune to the village it settles in while in western culture the stork is commonly associated with childbirth. more »

World Bank Approves US $20 Million in Additional Financing for Moldova’s Social Investment Fund II Project

The World Bank Board of Directors today approved an additional financing credit to the Republic of Moldova in the amount of US $20 million for the Social Investment Fund II Project. more »

Eighty million Europeans live in poverty

The Spanish Health and Social Policy Minister, Trinidad Jiménez, and the European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities, Vladimir Spidla, addressed the press in Madrid on the launch of the European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion 2010. more »

EU launches 2010 European Year: Stop poverty now!

The European Commission and the Spanish Presidency of the EU will tomorrow launch the 2010 European Year for Combating Poverty and Social Exclusion. more »

Spain proposes tougher smoking ban

Smoking at a restaurant like this one in Spain could soon be a thing of the past. Spanish lawmakers want to stub out the habit in public places like bars and restaurants. But it's an unpopular proposal in a country where around 30 percent of the population smoke. more »

Statement by President Mario Sepi: Earthquake in Haiti: European civil society and all the institutions must provide help and support to Haiti's population

As President of the European Economic and Social Committee, I would like, on behalf of all the Committee's members, to express my sympathy to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. more »