Chechnya's capital Grozny is not quiet. Russia's federal forces may loose control over the city
Published:
24 September 2001 y., Monday
Chechnya's capital Grozny is not quiet. Russia's federal forces may loose control over the city, the newspaper Izvestia says, quoting sources in Grozny's military commandant's office. The statement comes after many areas of Gudermes, the second large town in Chechnya, fell into guerrilla hands on Monday.
Many Grozny residents have fled from the city to avoid possible clashes. It means that rebels are going to attack the city, the source says.
According to the commandant's office, there are a huge number of well-armed rebels around the city and they may to take their control over Grozny quite easily. There have already been some local shootings in the streets of the capital.
Meanwhile women from Chechnya's government have been evacuated from Grozny to Mozdok, Izvestia reported, quoting police sources. The government refused to make any comments on the matter.
Three Russians have been killed in Grozny. The bodies of two men, 18 and 25, with execution-style bullet wounds were found on Wednesday at the central market of the Zavodskoy region, Interfax news agency reported. The same day another man was shot dead in front of his house.
25 Russian servicemen were reported dead and 34 wounded after Monday fightings in Gudermes, Chechnya's second-largest city. Meanwhile casualties among Chechen guerrilla are lower, amounting to 17 men. It was a largest assault in months by rebels, who have focused over most of the past year on small-scale raids and planting mines.
Russia withdrew its troops from Chechnya in 1996, but the army returned in September 1999, after incursions by Chechen rebels into neighbouring Dagestan and the deaths of some 300 people in apartment bombings that Russian officials blamed on rebels.
Šaltinis:
allnews.ru
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
A former shipyard worker whose 1980 firing triggered the labor protest that spawned Poland's Solidarity movement was awarded $23,000 on Tuesday for her imprisonment more than two decades ago
more »
Spaniards have voted overwhelmingly to back the EU's new constitution in a referendum at the weekend
more »
Since 1993, the EU has provided the republic with 153 million euros (US $182 million) worth of humanitarian aid.
more »
Chinese authorities shut down more than 12,000 Internet bars last year, state media said on Sunday
more »
Around 30 activists from environmental group Greenpeace blocked the entrance to the office of Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka for nearly two hours to demand that Poland ban imports of genetically modified produce
more »
Survivors marked 65 years yesterday since Soviet occupiers began sending Poles to Siberian labour camps
more »
Europe needs more, not fewer, economic migrants despite public fears and high unemployment in core West European countries, EU Labour and Social Affairs Commissioner Vladimir Spidla said on Wednesday
more »
Immigration to Israel Drops as More Russian Jews Prefer Germany
more »
A leaked list containing the names of some 240,000 people who allegedly spied for Poland's former communist regime has overtaken sex as the hottest search item on the Internet in Poland
more »
Several European Parliament members have urged the EU to match a proposed ban on Nazi signs with one on communist symbols like the hammer and sickle
more »