Russia Secret Service Seizes Copies Book linking it to 1999 bombings
Published:
3 January 2004 y., Saturday
Russian police and FSB special service have seized a load of books allegedly linking the FSB to deadly bombings in 1999 that led to the current war in separatist Chechnya, the books' sellers said.
Some 4,400 issues of the book entitled "FSB Blows Up Russia" and authored by former FSB agent Alexander Litvinenko, now exiled in Britain, were confiscated en route from the western city of Pskov to Moscow, Alexander Podrabinek of the Prima News Agency said late Monday.
"FSB officials said the books were seized as antigovernment propaganda," Podrabinek explained, adding that the seized load's whereabouts were unknown. Prima ordered the books, which were printed in Latvia, for sale in Russia, in what Podrabinek said was a legal transaction "observing all customs formalities."
Litvinenko, a former lieutenant colonel, charges the FSB with involvement in the bombings on September 9 and 13, 1999 which destroyed two buildings in Moscow, killing more than 200 people.
The FSB repeatedly denied any involvement in the attacks. Nearly 300 people died in four explosions in Russia in mid-1999, attacks that led to the launch of the ongoing war in Chechnya.
The war in Chechnya prompted a wave of nationalism that swept Vladimir Putin, then the Russian prime minister, to the presidency half a year later.
Šaltinis:
AFP
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
From Luis Figo to David Villa footballers are urging people to vote in the European elections this week.
more »
To celebrate European Neighbours Day, a new photo exhibition entitled Images from Slovenia and Ireland went on display this week at the European Commission Representation in Ireland.
more »
This is a tarsier monkey. It's one of the smallest on earth and is only found in South East Asia.
But now the tarsier is the brink of extinction in Indonesia's Sulawesi Island.
more »
On 31 May, three new TV spots will be shown on over 100 TV channels across Europe for one month and repeated during the month of September.
more »
Haizhu Bridge in China's southern city of Guangzhou has become a popular venue for those attempting suicide. Chen Fuchao was at least the 12th person since last month threatening to jump.
more »
Crowds gathered outside California's Supreme Court as it upheld a controversial ban on gay marriage, known as Proposition 8.
more »
Hundreds of demonstrators stripped off to protest against Spain's second biggest mass spectacle after soccer.
more »
70-year-old Ruddha shows off her wounds, her crime - being a witch...
more »
Police are intensifying their search for a 13-year old boy with cancer and his mother from Minnesota.
more »
One fifth of Europe’s reptiles and nearly a quarter of its amphibians are threatened, according to new studies commissioned by the European Commission and carried out by IUCN.
more »