Forest fires: call for more coordinated action

Published: 16 September 2009 y., Wednesday

Žolės gaisras
The EP has called for a rapid release of EU aid funds to help victims of this summer's devastating forest fires in Southern Europe, especially in Greece. MEPs also want more cross-border European action in the fight against such disasters. Furthermore, they criticise some Member States for not having done enough to prevent the fires.

By adopting a resolution with 647 votes in favour, 31 against and 22 abstentions, the House called on the Commission to help in the reforesting and rebuilding of areas which suffered heavy damage. The Commission should also free funds from the current EU Solidarity Fund (EUSF) “in the most flexible manner possible and without delay for assisting the victims”, says the resolution.

MEPs criticised some EU countries for not having taken more efficient prevention measures. The House also condemned the practice of legalising illegal construction on protected and non-authorised areas. 

More broadly, Parliament called for a wider European strategy to combat natural disasters, including compulsory measures for risk prevention. Particular attention should be paid to island and outermost regions with low geographic density in this strategy. MEPs also said that an effective European force should be created that can react immediately in the event of emergencies.

However, the EP also emphasised the individual responsibility of Member States for civil protection and disaster control and their primary responsibility for preventing and extinguishing fires. And it called for penal sanctions against arsonists in forest fires.

The total area of vegetation and woodland affected by the fires in Europe this summer was more than 315.000 hectares, according to the European Forest Fires Information System.

 

Šaltinis: europa.eu
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

Chinese Sakharov winner Hu Jia – still in jail

“Inciting subversion of state authority” is a serious crime in China. For 36 year old dissident Hu Jia it has meant a jail sentence of three and half years imposed last year. more »

Bank SNORAS resumes its activity at the seaside resorts

Along with the beginning of the summer season, Bank SNORAS also resumes its activity at the most popular seaside resorts. more »

New MEPs Tanja Fajon and Lara Comi arrive at the Parliament

This week the first newly elected MEPs started arriving at the EP. At the desk where they register we met Italian Lara Comi and Slovene Tanja Fajon who were taking their first steps in their 5-year term as MEPs. more »

Poaching threatens Sarus cranes

Tourists from all around India come to Uttar Pradesh to watch Sarus cranes. more »

UK hosts nettle eating contest

Summer means one thing in this English country village - in Marshwood it's time for the nettle eating championships. more »

Camel owners forced to migrate

A lack of food and water is forcing camel owners in northwestern Rajasthan to migrate to other states in India. more »

A Polish Erasmus student voting in Kolding, Denmark

Polish art student Zofia Szostkiewicz is this month's guest photographer with her photos of people voting in Kolding in south-west Denmark during the European elections. more »

Apply for Parliamentary grants for your communication project

The European Parliament's Communication Department has launched a tender for projects that will lead to a better understanding of the Parliament, stimulate public interest and participation in the political process. more »

Fake Rockefeller guilty of kidnapping

The man who called himself Clark Rockefeller has been found guilty of kidnapping his 7-year-old daughter. more »

Nine kidnapped in Yemen

Government sources in Yemen say a group of nine foreign nationals have been kidnapped in the northern Saada area. more »