Airliner with 58 aboard landed at military base in southern Israel.
Published:
13 November 2000 y., Monday
A Chechen gunman who seized a Russian airliner surrendered to Israeli authorities Sunday and all 58 people on board were safe, a military official said. Army Col. Ofer Ophir said the lone hijacker was in Israeli custody and all the passengers had been removed from the plane.
Israel, Russia and Azerbaijan had said initially that up to four hijackers were on board and were threatening to blow up the plane. But there was only one gunman, who turned over his weapon and surrendered, Israeli authorities said.
The aircraft was directed to a remote landing strip. Initially officials said the hijackers acted in support of the Palestinian uprising, a six-week-old conflict that has claimed nearly 200 lives. But later army spokesman Brig. Gen. Ron Kitrey said that information was incorrect, and that the hijacking was part of the ongoing conflict between Russia and Chechnya, which is predominantly Muslim. Israel initially refused the plane permission to land, and was intent on preventing the plane from landing at Ben-Gurion international airport near Tel Aviv, the country's main airport.
While the plane circled over the Mediterranean Sea, an Israeli Air Force jet flew nearby. Eventually, the plane was allowed to land after the Russian pilot said he was running low on fuel.
The gunman seized the plane Saturday night shortly after takeoff from Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian region of Dagestan in the Caucasus Mountains. The jet, with 48 passengers, including two children, and five stewardesses and five cockpit crew, was flying to Moscow from Makhachkala, the Dagestan capital.
Šaltinis:
MSNBC News
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
You can now access books, journals, films, maps etc from across Europe via the EU's online library, Europeana.
more »
Late night chat turned serious when comedian David Letterman admitted he had sex with female employees and was being blackmailed for $2-million (USD) over the affairs.
more »
Last Thursday (1 October) saw an agreement that will lead to the introduction of more efficient tyres for cars and lorries that will cut fuel bills and CO2 emissions.
more »
The European Job Days are taking place around the EU over the next fortnight, with a centrepiece event in Brussels on 3 October.
more »
Women, especially migrant and/or poor women, have been harder hit by the financial crisis than men, MEPs heard on Wednesday.
more »
New EU plan to make local transport efficient and sustainable.
more »
Hollywood heavyweights and European cultural figures are rallying behind jailed film director Roman Polanski.
more »
By the time of his death in the Moscow winter 20 years ago, Andrei Sakharov had built an international reputation as a nuclear physicist, human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner His fears over the implications of his work led him to call for peaceful coexistence and later for human rights in the USSR.
more »
The ten nominations for this year's Sakharov Prize, the EP's prize for defenders of human rights and democracy, have now been put forward and will be officially presented at the end of the month.
more »
President of the Republic of Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė attended a meeting hosted by the President of Liberia Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf and the President of Finland Tarja Halonen on Peace and Security through Women's Leadership.
more »