Australian authorities downplay conspiracy to blow up reactor.
Published:
26 August 2000 y., Saturday
According to a New Zealand newspaper report, the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor near Sydney was the target of a terrorist plot. Earlier this year, New Zealand police uncovered a possible plot to blow up a nuclear reactor in Sydney during next month’s Olympic Games, a New Zealand newspaper reported. Authorities arrested three suspects of Afghan descent and claim the suspects may have ties to wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden, the paper said. THE NEWS SET OFF shock waves in Sydney, but
Australian officials said there was currently “no credible threat” to the small research reactor, which is located on the outskirts of the country’s largest city, and said they had no plans to shut it down.
Police in the state of New South Wales, who have overall control of games security, confirmed that they were following New Zealand’s investigations into the raid. “The New South Wales police service is aware of an investigation conducted by New Zealand police into the activities of an organized group in New Zealand,” said a police spokesman who declined to be named. The threat is being treated seriously, the Sydney-based spokesman said.
Sydney has a population of about 4.5 million, but it could swell by another million people during the Games.
Šaltinis:
msnbc.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Rumilya was 12 when she was smuggled out of Kyrgyzstan to a life of prostitution in Dubai.
more »
Setting fire to buses, drivers in India showed their anger towards a court order banning the use of vehicles made before 1993.
more »
New Year and Lithuanian Millennium Greetings from President Valdas Adamkus
more »
More than a million people are expected to gather in Times Square for the New Year's Eve celebration.
more »
Fate sought to tempt legal secretary Dhaima Brookes when she stumbled upon $1 million in an ATM in the Portmore Mall, St Catherine, yesterday.
more »
Many road safety measures were originally devised to protect motor racing drivers.
more »
2008 has been an eventful year.
more »
Jonathan Sacks, Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the British Commonwealth, visited the European Parliament on Wednesday as part of events celebrating the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue.
more »
The big day has finally arrived. The house has been scrubbed and decorated.
more »
Last year's winner of the Sakharov Prize Salih Mahmoud Osman from Sudan's conflict-torn region of Darfur was in Parliament yesterday to commemorate the work of those who champion human rights.
more »