Australian authorities downplay conspiracy to blow up reactor.
Published:
26 August 2000 y., Saturday
According to a New Zealand newspaper report, the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor near Sydney was the target of a terrorist plot. Earlier this year, New Zealand police uncovered a possible plot to blow up a nuclear reactor in Sydney during next month’s Olympic Games, a New Zealand newspaper reported. Authorities arrested three suspects of Afghan descent and claim the suspects may have ties to wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden, the paper said. THE NEWS SET OFF shock waves in Sydney, but
Australian officials said there was currently “no credible threat” to the small research reactor, which is located on the outskirts of the country’s largest city, and said they had no plans to shut it down.
Police in the state of New South Wales, who have overall control of games security, confirmed that they were following New Zealand’s investigations into the raid. “The New South Wales police service is aware of an investigation conducted by New Zealand police into the activities of an organized group in New Zealand,” said a police spokesman who declined to be named. The threat is being treated seriously, the Sydney-based spokesman said.
Sydney has a population of about 4.5 million, but it could swell by another million people during the Games.
Šaltinis:
msnbc.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Divorcing someone of another nationality can be legal and emotional nightmare.
more »
People from various countries hold quite a favourable opinion about Lithuania’s governance, its activities in the international community, and economic living and working conditions in Lithuania.
more »
An African eco-village in South Africa's wine region receives funding from a surprising source.
more »
Teaching children about basic finance so they avoid getting into bad debts at a later age is the aim of a leading MEP.
more »
The proposed European Blue Card scheme for skilled immigrants will pass a crucial vote in the Civil Liberties Committee on Monday.
more »
Talk of the Town brings you the latest in news, music and celebrity talk.
more »
Genealogists from Ancestry.com discovered that Palin and the late princess descended from John Strong and his wife Abigail Ford.
more »
Tunisian journalist Souhayr Belhassen has campaigned in defence of human rights for more than three decades.
more »
For years parents in the EU have struggled to find good, affordable childcare facilities. In 2002, EU leaders declared childcare a high priority and, to show they meant business, set specific targets.
more »
Pope Benedict XVI opens a major Vatican meeting and urges man not to brush God aside by declaring himself master of the world.
more »