Australian authorities downplay conspiracy to blow up reactor.
Published:
26 August 2000 y., Saturday
According to a New Zealand newspaper report, the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor near Sydney was the target of a terrorist plot. Earlier this year, New Zealand police uncovered a possible plot to blow up a nuclear reactor in Sydney during next month’s Olympic Games, a New Zealand newspaper reported. Authorities arrested three suspects of Afghan descent and claim the suspects may have ties to wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden, the paper said. THE NEWS SET OFF shock waves in Sydney, but
Australian officials said there was currently “no credible threat” to the small research reactor, which is located on the outskirts of the country’s largest city, and said they had no plans to shut it down.
Police in the state of New South Wales, who have overall control of games security, confirmed that they were following New Zealand’s investigations into the raid. “The New South Wales police service is aware of an investigation conducted by New Zealand police into the activities of an organized group in New Zealand,” said a police spokesman who declined to be named. The threat is being treated seriously, the Sydney-based spokesman said.
Sydney has a population of about 4.5 million, but it could swell by another million people during the Games.
Šaltinis:
msnbc.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.
The most popular articles
Muslims world wide celebrate Eid to mark the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
more »
This publication focuses on selective aspects of the travel behaviour of residents from the EU Member States in 2006. In so doing it mainly deals with differences, if any, in the travel behaviour of four different age groups, that is tourists aged 15 to 24 years, 25 to 44 years, 45 to 64 years and older than 64 years.
more »
As of 1 August this year, the basic pension will be increased by LTL 44, and the insured income – by LTL 74.
more »
Sergei Malchik, head of the Belarusian Popular Front (BPF)'s Grodno charter, has called for the boycott of the Second Congress of Pro-democratic Forces.
more »
Vintsuk Vyachorka, leader of the Belarusian Popular Front, has announced plans to contest the results of elections for the Minsk City Soviet in the Miroshnichenkovsky district.
more »
Youth opposition activists has filed an application for the Minsk city government for permission to stage a show called a “Big Jeans Fest”.
more »