In Victory, Venus Williams Is Surprisingly Vulnerable

Published: 3 September 2000 y., Sunday
On an increasing number of occasions, the opponents of Venus Williams have tended to step on the court and immediately search for a foxhole. Usually, they duck well behind the baseline, counting on the extra space to increase their response time, hoping to extend the rally just a shade longer. But the spindly Meghann Shaughnessy arrived at Arthur Ashe Stadium last night with a different strategy. Although she ended up deflated by her tantalizingly close opportunity to take the first set - she lost to Williams, 7-6 (3), 6-1, in the third round of the United States Open - Shaughnessy provided a glimpse at an attack plan against the third-seeded women's player. "I've seen matches of hers where the other person has been completely intimidated," the 21-year-old Shaughnessy said. "It's easy. She's much bigger, much stronger and hits the ball harder than just about everyone. Shaughnessy had a chance to serve out the first set, ahead by 5-4, but could not get a first serve in, giving Williams a chance to dictate the points. But for just over an hour, Shaughnessy stood inside the baseline, face to face with Williams's sling-blade strokes, and did not flinch. When Williams launched a backhand across the net, Shaughnessy took the ball early, converted the force into her own power, and crushed it into the corner pockets of the court. When Williams inched toward the net with her intimidating wingspan, Shaughnessy zipped the ball right at her body. Williams was in tangles. And under the pressure she had rarely felt through her 22-match winning streak, Williams's serve came unraveled for a moment. She served six double faults in the first set, but escaped the first-set tie breaker after Shaughnessy sent four straight ground strokes way off target.
Šaltinis: nytoday.com
Copying, publishing, announcing any information from the News.lt portal without written permission of News.lt editorial office is prohibited.

Facebook Comments

New comment


Captcha

Associated articles

The most popular articles

EC to reinforce co-operation with European Paralympic Committee

On the occasion of an official visit to Beijing to attend the Paralympic Games, the European Commissioner responsible for sport, Ján Figel', today signed a Joint Declaration with the President of the European Paralympic Committee (EPC), Mr Enrique Sánchez-Guijo. more »

Vilnius welcome Beijing Olympic Games bronze winner M. Mizgaitis

Winner of the first Lithuania’s medal in Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Mindaugas Mizgaitis will be met in Vilnius International Airport on August 19 at 7:05 pm. more »

Nine military will represent Lithuanian Armed Forces in Olympic Games

Representatives of Lithuanian Armed Forces will leave for Beijing Olympic Games 2008 from Ministry of National Defence on July 31. more »

President wishes good luck to Lithuanian sportsmen in Beijing Olympics

President Valdas Adamkus wishes good luck to the delegation of Lithuanian sportsmen leaving for Beijing to take part in the Olympic Games. more »

Lukashenko suggests establishing national tennis academy

On the opening day on February 9, 26th-ranked Robin Soderling had a 6-3, 7-6, 6-1 win over Mr. Valchkow, who is currently the world's No. 730 but still remains Belarus' second-ranked player, and the country's number one Mirny was stunned by Thomas Johansson 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 in the second rubber. more »

New York had “let America down”

New York Olympic bid leaders are to discuss whether to pull their city out of the race to host the 2012 Games.

more »

Ronaldo brings his Madrid problems home

Ronaldo said last week that club and country are different matters and his troubles at Real Madrid would be cast aside when he pulled on the famous gold shirt of Brazil more »